3359 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPUX syslog 11.23

Trng
Super Advisor

HPUX syslog 11.23

Hi All,

As we know hpux will move syslog.log to OLDsyslog.log after a reboot ..so we have only OLDsyslog.log and syslog.log after reboot.How to make a custom startup script that will move the OLDsyslog.log file away to a safe location each time the system boots, so that there will be no need to overwrite OLDsyslog.log when the system boots next time?..

what entries to be made in starup scripts and where is the syslog scripts resides ?

rgds,trng

administrator
2 REPLIES 2
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

The script in charge of copying syslog.log to OLDsyslog.log is the syslogd startup script /sbin/init.d/syslogd

My suggestion is not to mess with this script at all, but write a site-specific script, assign it proper S### and K### symbolic links to it in /etc/rc.#.d directory and run this script as the last step of your rc scripts during reboot. In that script you can do whatever housekeeping that your heart desires without impacting the boot of the system.

Consider something going wrong while your are saving your OLD Syslog to some other location. You may end up running a system without a syslog and don;t notice it until it is too late. Avoid it like a plague.

Hi,
You can use the following script to retain your 4 copies of syslogs by scheduling this in cron at your convenient.

if [[ -a /home/dir/syslog.4.Z ]]; then
rm /home/dir/syslog.4.Z
fi

cd /var/adm/syslog
for i in 3 2 1
do
let j=$i+1
if [[ -a /home/dir/syslog.$i.Z ]]; then
mv /home/dir/syslog.$i.Z /home/dir/syslog.$j.Z
fi
done

# Move current file to first, create new syslog.log, and restart syslogd.
mv syslog.log syslog.1
touch /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
kill -HUP `cat /var/run/syslog.pid`

# Compress old file and exit.
compress syslog.1
exit

Hope this helps,