4541 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Installed PSP 8.15 sles 10 x86_64 Kernel panic - not syncing Aiee

Ron Nash
Advisor

Installed PSP 8.15 sles 10 x86_64 Kernel panic - not syncing Aiee

Hello Gurus,

I just updated my DL360 G5 running SLES 10 with ProLiant Support Packs (PSP) 8.15 and now the system will not boot. I am getting Kernel panic - not syncing Aiee. Anyone have this problem or can point me into the right direction to fix this problem?

Thank you,

RN
4 REPLIES 4
Louis Bouchard
Occasional Advisor

Re: Installed PSP 8.15 sles 10 x86_64 Kernel panic - not syncing Aiee

Hello,

I've seen cases where the module needed to mount the root FS (cciss, qla2xxx) could not be mounted because of version mismatch following PSP install.

From what type of disk do you boot ? SAN, local ?

Was there a previous version of PSP installed ?

I would suggest to pay close attention to the early phases of boot to see if some error show up.

Let us know what you find.

Kind Regards,
Ron Nash
Advisor

Louis,

We boot from local disk drives.

Yes, there was a previous version of PSP installed

I did not see anything that was noticeable on boot up.

I did manage to get the system working again, but probably not the ideal solution. I have another system that is exactly the same hardware and OS. I booted up with KNOPPIX and copied the initrd-2.6.16.46-0.12-smp and vmlinuz-2.6.16.46-0.12-smp to /boot/rec directory then added these lines to the /boot/grub/menu.lst:

title SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 SP1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/rec/vmlinuz-2.6.16.46-0.12-smp root=/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 resume=/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 splash=silent showopts
initrd /boot/rec/initrd-2.6.16.46-0.12-smp

The system now boots and is working. I know this is probably not the best solution and might cause problems down the road. I will probably open a case with HP on this issue. The only probable that I have now is the system is live, so I guess I will have to image the system to another system to try to fix the problem correctly. Thank you for your response.

Best regards,

RN
Louis Bouchard
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Here is what you should try before opening a case :
1) Compare the vmlinuz files (in /boot and /boot/rec) with md5sum. They should be identical.

2) Compare the initrd-2.6.16.46-0.12-smp files (in /boot and /boot/rec). My idea is that they will be different.

Those initrd files are compressed (.gz) file systems, so you can uncompress both, mount (using -o loop) and try to find the differences between the one that works and the one that doesn't.

If not, open a case with us and provide this forum thread to the engineer who will take the issue.

Kind Regards,

..Louis
Ron Nash
Advisor

Louis,

Thank you for your insight. I really appreciate it. Here are my findings.

Strange thing with SLES 10 is that is uses cpio to compress the initrd.

So I did the following steps:
mv initrd-2.6.16.46-0.12-smp initrd-2.6.16.46-0.12-smp.gz

gunzip initrd-2.6.16.46-0.12-smp.gz

cpio -i --make-directories < initrd-2.6.16.46-0.12-smp

The initrd-2.6.16.46-0.12-smp was copied from
/boot and placed into a dir called bad the other ├в good├в initrd-2.6.16.46-0.12-smp was copied from /boot/rec too a dir called good.

In good dir:
find . -type f | xargs md5sum > ../good.md5

In bad dir:
md5sum -c ../good.md5 | grep -i fail

./lib/modules/2.6.16.46-0.12-smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/lpfcmpl/lpfcmpl.ko: FAILED
./lib/modules/2.6.16.46-0.12-smp/kernel/drivers/scsi/lpfc/lpfc.ko: FAILED
./lib/modules/2.6.16.46-0.12-smp/modules.symbols: FAILED
md5sum: WARNING: 5 of 122 computed checksums did NOT match

The items above are different. This does jog my memory that the system on boot was giving some output during the loading of lpf modules, but it did not give an error. I believe the problem exists with the lpf modules.

Thank you,

RN