5749 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Iostat analysis

Max Sorokin
Regular Advisor

Iostat analysis

Hi All,

Is there some tool for graphic representation of iostat files?

BR,
Max
/Maxim
7 REPLIES 7
John McNulty_2
Frequent Advisor

Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Something else worth looking at is HPOV Glance for Linux and HPOV Performance Manager with associated OV Performance agent for linux.

Found under the HP BTO software site.
https://h10078.www1.hp.com/cda/hpdc/display/main/search_results.jsp?zn=bto&cp=54_4012_100__
Max Sorokin
Regular Advisor

Thanks guys, but it is not what i'm looking for :( i need a tool like windows performance monitor, to import iostat files and represent it with graphs.
/Maxim
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

If you use "sar -d" instead of iostat, you can use ksar to graph the results.

If you use collectl instead of iostat, you can also graph your results.

Please don't forget to assign points to the answers you get.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
John McNulty_2
Frequent Advisor

Max, you've not said what flavour of Linux you're running and this is relevant if you want to use sar as some distros are more up to date than others. I'll assume Redhat.

Redhat (and therefore CentOS too) ship a very old version, 7.0.2-3 - about 2.5 years old - and it's missing a lot of features. Not to mention that Redhat's implementation is quite crap. The init script provided to start the sadc data collector is only half written and what's there doesn't work at all. It has no interval on the command line which causes it to exit immediately without doing anything, and it should also be run in the background. God knows what the person who wrote that script was smoking, but it's an embarrassment. If you look you'll find that some daily data is being collected already in /var/log/sa. The sadd files (where dd = the day of the month) contain data collected for 1 second every 10 mnutes, and the sardd files are reports created from the day's data. You'll find that this data is being generated from a cron job here:

/etc/cron.d/sysstat.

I'd stop this fron running, clean out the files in /var/log/sa and set up sadc to run correctly. Note: By default sadc won't collect any disk data unless you run it with the -d flag.

In fact, I'd get rid of the supplied sysstat package and download the latest version from here:

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard

The new version comes with a replacement for the sar datafile reader called sadf that can write reports in a number of different output formats: CSV, XML, etc. There's also a tool in the new kit called isag (Interactive System Activity Grapher) that can read the binary datafiles and produce graphs from them.

Hope this helps.

John McNulty_2
Frequent Advisor

I just noticed there's a brand new version released today: 9.0.6 that includes a new utility called sargraph that can produce graphs from the XML output from sadf. Will have to give this a try myself :)
Max Sorokin
Regular Advisor

I'm using XenServer 5.5 with kernel 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5.xs5.5.0.496.1012xen, and it's pain in the ass to install something new on this system :(
/Maxim