Operating System - Linux
1752273 Members
5059 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Is anybody have successful backup Linux ES v.4 OS to DDS tape and recovery successfully

walkman
Occasional Contributor

Is anybody have successful backup Linux ES v.4 OS to DDS tape and recovery successfully

I have a Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES v.4 OS server, previous I want do OS backup to DVD, but I find the root filesystem is 14GB that it is unavailable to backup by DVD.so I want look for a backup solution that backup OS to DDS tapes and boot+restore by this tape once server OS corruption.
Thank you very much!
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Is anybody have successful backup Linux ES v.4 OS to DDS tape and recovery successfully

Booting from a tape is generally not supported in PC hardware. A basic tape drive cannot do it: you need a tape drive that has special support for booting a PC from a tape. It is done by having the tape drive emulate a CD-ROM/DVD to make the PC boot a restore program, then the program restores the rest of the tape content as normal. The boot tape must have a special structure, and only some backup programs can create a bootable tape.

You would be then tied to this specific technology: as there is no real standard for booting a PC from tape, different manufacturers' solutions might not be compatible with each other.

HP's technology for this is called One-Button Disaster Recovery (OBDR):

Introduction:
http://www.hp.com/go/obdr

Compatibility matrix:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/tape/OBDR/Compatibility_Matrices.pdf

It might be easier to re-arrange your filesystem layout so that your root filesystem (including your standard backup software) fits into a single bootable backup DVD. Restoring that would give you enough functionality to restore the rest of the system from multiple non-bootable DVDs, if necessary.

MK
MK
Steven McCoy
Valued Contributor

I would highly suggest Mondo Rescue. It can span your system image across multiple ISO files/images. You can store them anywhere (tape, NFS share, CDs, etc), and then restore the system from them. I did a bare metal restore over NFS last week, smooth as silk.

http://www.mondorescue.org/
Steven McCoy
Valued Contributor

I forgot to mention that the restore process is handled from a bootable CD. You then tell it where to pull the ISO images from (tape, NFS share, CDs, etc). This is a much more compatible method for PC-style hardware.