4068 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Ldap user account not able to login

Arumugavel_P
Occasional Advisor

Ldap user account not able to login

Hello experts,

I have newly implemented ldap on my hp-ux box. but the ldap users are unable to login. When they try login, once the password prompt asked and the password typed , the seesion disappears immediately.

HP-UX B.11.31

9000/800/rp7420

Did cross check with /etc/pam.conf files and auth files. they are seems to be ok.

Rgds...

2 REPLIES 2
Arumugavel_P
Occasional Advisor

Re: Ldap user account not able to login

Can anyone help me out on this issue please...

Rgds...

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Ldap user account not able to login

Check the syslog (/var/adm/syslog/syslog.log): if the login process fails because of some errors, the error messages should be written to the log.

Run "last <username>" for the LDAP user. Does it indicate the login attempts? If it does, it means the login has probably been successful, but something has caused the session to terminate immediately.

Check the name of the shell specified in LDAP: remember that HP-UX wants shells specified like /usr/bin/sh, not /bin/sh. If you don't have created the configuration file /etc/shells, only the system standard shells will be accepted.

The list of standard shells is: (the list is viewable with "man getusershell")

/sbin/sh
/usr/bin/sh
/usr/bin/rsh
/usr/bin/ksh
/usr/bin/rksh
/usr/bin/csh
/usr/bin/keysh

If /etc/shells exists, the user's shell specification must exactly match one of the lines in /etc/shells. If it does not exist, the shell specification must exactly match one of the standard shells.

MK