9178 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

logs location

deepakinit
Advisor

logs location

Hai all,

where do logs about lvm stored in redhat linux.Also the locations of the system logs stored.

Regards,
B.Deepak Kumar
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: logs location

All logs are in /var/log. The /var/log/messages file contains most system information, see also /etc/syslog.conf and man syslog. You should also check man dmesg.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

log files are located in /var/log. As for lvm it should default to use syslog. lvm changes should be seen in /var/log/messages. You can edit the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf file to specify a log file for lvm.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

As a side note, if you use lvm in readline mode it creates a history file in your home directory called .lvm_history. Notice the period before the file which means it's hidden. Anyway, if you type the command "lvm" you will see shell with a prompt of

lvm>

when this is run the history file is created and will have a list of commands typed.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"