108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MISSING DEVICE FILES FOR TAPE DRIVES

SOLVED
Go to solution
frederick hannah
Super Advisor

MISSING DEVICE FILES FOR TAPE DRIVES

A RedHat 5.5 server is seeing devices files for 27 of 30 tape drives when it should see all 30. The missing tape drives have no associated device files. The tape drives are scsi-attached directly to a tape drive silo, but all the drives among other server via fiber and a SAN. How do I create device files for the missing tape drives? The tape drives are on a different controller so there is no common trouble-area.
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MISSING DEVICE FILES FOR TAPE DRIVES

The udev sub-system should automatically create the device files for all the SCSI devices the system sees.

If the device files are not there, it's a strong indication the system is not seeing the tape drives. If that's the case, creating the device files manually is not going to fix the problem: even if the device file exists, the kernel won't know where to send the data you push into the device files of the missing drives.

Please run "lsscsi". If that isn't installed, install it, e.g. "yum install lsscsi".

Double-check all the FC settings at the silo and the FC switches (if you have them): among other things, this could be caused by incorrect FC switch zoning, or incorrect FC masking at the silo.

MK
MK
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What is the o/p of lsdev -v ?

btw, the iNTERNATIONAL cAPS lOCK dAY is over by 22th october, you can spare those capital letters for next year ;)

Unix operates with beer.
frederick hannah
Super Advisor

Thanks for the quick response. I am going to work the "silo/tape drive/controller may have issues" angles for a resolution.
frederick hannah
Super Advisor

I have not found a solution yet, but thanks for the guidance.