1751765 Members
4876 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mixing RHEL versions among apps and DB servers

skt_skt
Honored Contributor

mixing RHEL versions among apps and DB servers

Is there any know issues mixing the APPS and DB environment in different RHEL versions.

For example apps with RHEL 4.6 and DB with RHEL 5.1..

Just to know the pros and cons
8 REPLIES 8
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

Don't worry.
We have DB servers - HP-UX, App - Linux and Win.

regards,
ivan
Oviwan
Honored Contributor

hey

no of course not. for example an ERP system. the application is maybe on windows and the DB on linux or unix...

this should be no problem...

but maybe you should check the requirements of your system...

regards
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

my query is only related to mixing the RHEL versions than mixing diff OS versions..
Oviwan
Honored Contributor

yes you can do this. this week I configured a system also RHEL. one box is 64bit for DB and the other 32bit for the apps. so it should really be no problem..
Oviwan
Honored Contributor

or why do you have any doubts?
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

i have recommendations for "apps with RHEL 4.6 and DB with RHEL 5.1" on the new coming projects. I would like to keep all of them in either 4.6 or 5.1
Oviwan
Honored Contributor

I think this is more a company philosophy question... certainly it's nicer if you can have only one version of an OS but we have always to follow the requirements of the products...
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

There is generally no technical reason you can not do this. Right now I have applications on RHEL 3 and 4 with databases on 2.1 for one set of apps, and applications on 3 with databases on 4 for another set. The only real headache with this is that I sometimes need different versions of the Oracle client based on the OS version, but since the client versions are all equal to or greater than the server they use everything works.

However, a consistent environment is much, much easier to manage, which directly translates to cost. You probably need to find out why they are recommending those versions and evaluate their reasons.