6142 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

modules and drivers in linux

vvsha
Frequent Advisor

modules and drivers in linux

Hi,

What is meant by a module in linux? Is modules and drivers are same ?
How can we install drivers in linux? What format drivers has? Is it like rpm files?

For example If I buy a new hardware How I can Install the driver in linux for the same?

lsmod command lists all modules which is configured.
How can I see my video card driver?

Please help me in this regard.
5 REPLIES 5
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Re: modules and drivers in linux

A driver is a type of module. Some modules come in rpm format, others need to be compiled. I am not sure who manufactures your card but you should be able to go to their site and download a driver.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>> What is meant by a module in linux? Is modules and drivers are same ?

Yes and no. A device driver can be loaded as a module, but there are modules that are not related to device drivers, for example, firewall modules.

>>> How can we install drivers in linux? What format drivers has? Is it like rpm files?

Normally requires the compilation of the module for the kernel installed. This requires the kernel source/headers. Device drivers modules sometimes are provided as rpm files that will the compilation process.

>>> For example If I buy a new hardware How I can Install the driver in linux for the same?

The procedure is different depending of the hardware provider. Check the hardware documentation.

>>> lsmod command lists all modules which is configured.

Will list all modules loaded. The full list of modules is in /lib/modules/

>>> How can I see my video card driver?

Depending of your distro, there can be tools, for example, system-config-display on Red Hat based. But the xorg.conf file will give you the driver name.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
vvsha
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the help.
Where these all installed drivers located?

How to see Cicso fiber channel cable device and How we install Cicso fiber channel channel cable driver?

Please help me in this regard also.

Thanks in advance.
Srimalik
Valued Contributor

The modules are installed at
/lib/modules//

A way to go to the module directory is:
cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`/

For the fibre channel drivers:

1) Consult the manuals supplied with your hardware.
abandon all hope, ye who enter here..
Srimalik
Valued Contributor

You have to find something like:

https://www-304.ibm.com/systems/support/supportsite.wss/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-62221&brandind=5000020

The above link is for Qlogic drivers for 2.6 kernels.

You will need same thing for whatever hardware you have. You may find this in the mannuals/CDs/DVDs or the vendor's website.
abandon all hope, ye who enter here..