108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mount volumn

SOLVED
Go to solution
ivy1234
Frequent Advisor

mount volumn

I have a HDD that can not be bootup ( should be the boot file problem ) ,I want to get back the data in it , so I plug it to another server , and trying to copy the data from the failure HDD to this server .

Now , the server is re-boot and in maintenance mode as the HDD can not do the system check . when I try to copy data , it pops the server is read-only system , can advise

1. how to let me write data to the server ; or
2. let me boot up the server , then I will mount the HDD to it , and copy the data to the server .

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

>>> the server is re-boot and in maintenance mode

Maybe in "maintenance mode" your file systems are mounted as read only.

Try with:

mount -o rw,remount /

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor
Solution

Exactly as Ivan wrote,
the root FS is first ro mounted as stated in grub.conf's kernel entry

# grep ^[^#]\ *kernel /boot/grub/grub.conf
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-164.el5 ro root=/dev/vg_root/lv_root
Madness, thy name is system administration
Arockiasamy
Advisor

I'm not getting what u r asking.

But, If any booting related issues, Please follow the steps to solve the problem.

If it is going to maintenance mode, the there must be problem with the root partition or boot partition.

1. Boot the Installation Disk(RHEL5)> Go through the rescue mode ( linux rescue )> run
the disk check by "fsck" to the root&boot partitions( disk can be findout by iostat, cat /proc/diskstats, parted) > fix the errors if any > reboot.

2.If the partitions are not showing the filesystem type. Then it will be solved.

3.At the same time, u can take your data to the pen drive.

4.See the boot partition files like kernel, initrd.

Other case is that if u did the size reduction in boot/root disk, we can't recover.