1753777 Members
7825 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

mtrr: no more MTRRs available

Leonid Mishkind
Frequent Advisor

mtrr: no more MTRRs available

Hi . I am receiving the above message on Red Hat 4 running on ProLiant DL380 G3 server.
Please help me figure out what it means. I understand what the MTRR part is ( after reading wikipedia ) but it did not help much in understanding why the message comes out.

Regards,
Leonid.
3 REPLIES 3
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor

Re: mtrr: no more MTRRs available

I once tried to figure this out. I did not succeed, but I remember it had something to do with X, and since I was installing a server I stopped spending too much time finding a solution for something that was not a problem to me. Nice WIKI article, by the way.

JP
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor

It's because you are out of MTRRs. It has to do with memory holes and BIOS (I have not looked at the Wikipedia page so forgive me if that's what you already know)

I've never really seen much on "fixing" it (seems that it's more of an issue on laptops and devices that share RAM with a GPU) but you might try messing with the AGP "memory hole" option if it exists in the BIOS. I assume your BIOS is the latest-n-greatest.

This may offer some insight into altering the MTRR use in the OS:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/mtrr.html
....but there's likely LOTS of options not mentioned there (case in point, I think write-back is the more common config type)

Don
TIM HOWE

I had this problem on a Proliant ML310. I was also seeing messages about "wrong FS type" "bad option" and "bad superblock."

I got around it by clearing the RAID controller information, creating a default configuration, then installing using Fedora 7.

At the beginning of the process, still in character mode, Fedora 7 (unlike 8 and 9) loaded two drivers that began with "pata..."