cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mysterious Font Change for App on HPUX 11.11

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Mysterious Font Change for App on HPUX 11.11

A font has changed unexpectedly when a user started up a CAD application in HPUX 11.11. His font in the CAD app was suddenly small and changed to a different type. When another users logs into the same workstation and starts the CAD app the font is fine. I do not understand how the font was unexpectedly changed for one user and not another? Is there a configuration file that can be removed or changed to have the fonts changed back?
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor

Look for entries in the user's .Xdefaults file in his home directory. These settings override those in the system-wide /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults files very much like .profile settings override /etc/profile settings.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

There is not .Xdefaults in the users home directory. I am using NIS and when I log into a different workstation and run the same CAD app the font is ok. Is there something that could be host or display related?
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Anyone else have an idea?
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor

This could still be an .Xdefaults problem and the difference is that on this particular workstation this user has either a fully specified entry in /etc/passwd or a partially specified /etc/passwd entrry so that his home directory is either local or in a hard NFS mounted location and on other workstations his home directory is automounted using the NIS maps.

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor

Also, the application could have a configuration file it keeps in the user's HOMEDIR so if the HOMEDIR is different for this user on this workstation then it's the same type problem related to NIS passwd and automount maps.