1752780 Members
6072 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Need to find Free 1 GB NIC Port.

brian_31
Super Advisor

Need to find Free 1 GB NIC Port.

On a given Linux RHEL box i want to find a free 1GB NIC port. Please tell me how to find it. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Brian.
7 REPLIES 7
brian_31
Super Advisor

Re: Need to find Free 1 GB NIC Port.

In case i do not find a free NIC then , Is there a way to check if there is an open slot if the port is not avaliable? Please Help me to find both the information..

Thanks

Brian
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

ifconfig -a ?? look for unconfigured nics ?

physically go look at the server ??

brian_31
Super Advisor

Tim

Thanks! I understand that part. If there is no inet address on a eth# then i could assume that NIC is free. Coming to second part, what if i find all NIC's already assigned an IP. How do i find if there is a free slot for NIC to be added?

Thanks

Brian
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

If physical site is not a possiblility I guess you look at the server specs and the attempt to account for any/all existing adapters using lspci.

David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If HP agents are loaded, you should be able to examine the slots on the System Management Homepage. Also, using DMIDECODE would show you what is there, and you might have to cross reference with the box's specs to see how many slots the box has as I think DMIDECODE will show cards that are populated but won't show empty slots...
brian_31
Super Advisor

Here is the Plan i have. Look at the ifconfig -a and find any interfaces that do not have ip assigned (not sure how to handle the bonded ones)..and then look at dmidecode and look at PCI-E which are in available state (used means it is occupied). Is this an acceptable plan??

Brian.
brian_31
Super Advisor

Also wanted to mention that i am remote to the server

Brian.