7279 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Network printer is not printing

sacthivel.C
Frequent Advisor

Network printer is not printing

Dear all,
we are using one line printer connected through dlink dp-300 printserver.The details are given below:
ip address of Dp-300 : 21.1.3.100
print server name : PS1
port name : P1
I am trying to configure this printer in RHEL-AS 4 uing cups.But it is not printing. I attached the configuration files here.As per the search I made in google,The rm entry in /etc/printcap should be the remote host name.But here the local host name is getting assigned.
Local host name : web1
Remote host name : PS1

Pls help me to solve this problem as i am struggling for the past 3 days.

Thanks in advance..

Regards,
c.sacthivel
3 REPLIES 3
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The printcap file is not important for CUPS itself: CUPS auto-generates the printcap file for compatibility with older printing systems.

CUPS is trying to make the legacy printing clients connect to local CUPS lpd compatibility service, so that it can then forward the print jobs to their actual destination.
(Some CUPS printers may not be accessible using the legacy lpd printing protocol, so this allows CUPS to act as a protocol converter when necessary.)

More information is needed to solve the problem.

1.) Can you access the lpd port of the print server from your RHEL machine?

Run "telnet 21.1.3.100 515" on the RHEL machine. If it says "Connection established", the connection is OK. (You will need to break this connection manually: press Ctrl-], type "close" and press Enter)

If it says "Connection refused" or hangs in "Trying 21.1.3.100" until it times out, there is a problem in network connectivity: fix this first before continuing with CUPS.

2.) Can the RHEL machine resolve the name PS1 to IP address 21.1.3.100?

Run "nslookup PS1". Does it respond with the correct IP address? If it doesn't, does the /etc/hosts file have a line that says:

21.1.3.100 PS1

If there is no such line and you cannot easily add PS1 to your local DNS, you might add the above line to /etc/hosts on the RHEL machine. Alternatively you could just specify the CUPS Device URI as "lpd://21.1.3.100/P1".

MK
MK
sacthivel.C
Frequent Advisor

Hai mk,

Thank you for replying me and sorry for the delay.
The problem was solved after i created empty directories inside /var/spool/lpd.
And i changed the user and group of that folders as "daemon".
Now i am getting printing in both ipp and jetdirect.

Thank you once again

Regards,
C.Sacthivel
sacthivel.C
Frequent Advisor

Once again Thanks a lot.

Regards,
C.Sacthivel