New Discussion юеВ

Re: Online backup of Redhat-Linux OS

Md. Minhaz Khan
Super Advisor

Online backup of Redhat-Linux OS

Dear All

Can any one help me to backup linux OS online and
Recovey procedure.

In HP-UX we can take make_tape_recovery to take online OS backup and from that tape recovery.

Thanks
Minhaz
11 REPLIES 11
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Check mondo rescue:

www.mondorescue.org
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Minhaz,

I have worked with this tool, it is not free ware.

http://www.storix.com/linuxbackup

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Md. Minhaz Khan
Super Advisor

When my database application is running in my linux box on that time If i took backup using Mondo rescue than is there any problem??

I cannt shutdown my application during system running

In HP-UX we can took online backup of vg00 using make_tape_recovery

Did mondo do the same thing as make_tape_recovery does??

Thanks
Minhaz

Md. Minhaz Khan
Super Advisor

Hi Robert-Jan

I have down load free trail version from ur given site but after running ./stinstall command how can i took Linux OS backup? I have read user guide but i am confuse.please help me
to use SBAdmin step by step.

If i can successfully took backup and restore i will buy this product.

Thanks
Minhaz
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Minhaz,

Are running it from CDE desktop?

Graphical-User (Xwindows) interface (GUI) - This is the interface described in this user guide. To access the graphical user interface, also referred as the ├в backup administrator├в , type:

# sbadmin &

http://www.storix.com/images/stories/flash/product_demo_menu_page.html

There are a few demos in above link. I was just reading about the new features of this product and I'm also going to test the latest software release.

Regards,
Robert-Jan
smatador
Honored Contributor

Hi,
If you have a database like oracle even make_tape_recovery is not the solution to backup it online.
For linux, like Yvan write Mondo is a free bare metal recovery tool and you can backup your OS online. Mondo is develop by a HP man.
It's a very good tool and it's free.
Hope it helps
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

if you think you have a valid image for disaster recovery of your database when using ignite, you are sadly mistaken.

i suggest you perform a test on another machine, you will come to the inclusion that your database is useless or at least errornous.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

I highly recommend mondorescue. I have been using for almost a year and it has been extremely useful. You can do a full system backup similar to Ignite. The interface is really easy to use. You can easily write a script that will create an ISO for you. You can then burn the iso (which is bootable) and be back up in no time. I use it for DR and cloning systems. It works great.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

Mondorescue seems pretty much standard these days; at my customer site they're using SystemImager which also has a long track record, usually for doing golden images, which makes it really similar to Ignite for HP-UX.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.