108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Online resize2fs: Operation not permitted While trying to add group #14080

SOLVED
Go to solution
Liam Curtis
Frequent Advisor

Re: Online resize2fs: Operation not permitted While trying to add group #14080

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am kinda disappointed about lackluster online resizing with out of box Linux. Funny how my dirt old version of HP-UX11i still blows away latest Linux in many regards...shame that HP has embraced Itanium so much, but that's just my humble opinion.
Liam Curtis
Frequent Advisor

Before I give up, has anyone out there managed to grow filesystems online by 2-300GB or more within Linux?

For this particular project, I think I am going to just allocate 2-3 years of disk space, but I have been faced with instances of 'we need another 500GB NOW' where OnlineJFS has saved me in a matter of minutes without even a second thought of taking filesystem offline...
John Poff
Honored Contributor

I use resize2fs to grow mounted filesystems all the time with no problems, but I don't use it the way you do. I always do an lvextend on the logical volume first, and then use resize2fs to grow the filesystem.

JP
John Poff
Honored Contributor

And the last huge filesystem I grew was a few months ago. We had a 1 Tb filesystem and I grew it by an additional 1.5 Tb. It took a few minutes to churn through it but it worked (online) just fine.

JP
Liam Curtis
Frequent Advisor

Interesting...what the heck could i be doing wrong then...

Could you list the steps you did to create filesystem and extend it? wondering if i am missing something obvious...