5283 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: OpenSSH Issue

Vengat
Advisor

OpenSSH Issue

Hi Friends ,

How do i find out hp-ux server running Openssh or Secure Shell ?

because i have installed new Openssh 5.9p1 depot sucessfully,after installed i have checked ssh -V it is showing old version.

# ssh -V
OpenSSH_5.8p1+sftpfilecontrol-v1.3-hpn13v7, OpenSSL 0.9.8q 2 Dec 2010
HP-UX Secure Shell-A.05.80.004, HP-UX Secure Shell version

Kindly help me.

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

The first thing to check is to see where the 'ssh' executable you are running is located:

For example (on a server I have access to):

# whence -v ssh

ssh is /usr/bin/ssh

# /usr/bin/ssh -V
OpenSSH_4.2p1-hpn, OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004
HP-UX Secure Shell-A.04.20.009, HP-UX Secure Shell version

You might also check and see if you have 'ssh' executables is /usr/local/bin, some other location in /usr/local, or maybe even /opt.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

HP-UX Secure Shell is a version of OpenSSH that is ported to HP-UX by HP, and has HP's support. This is reflected in the version numbers you're seeing: it shows the version number of the original OpenSSH codebase used, and the HP-style version number specific to the port. The version you're seeing is clearly HP-UX Secure Shell.

If you have installed an OpenSSH depot that is not created by HP, it probably installs to a different path than HP's version. Most likely the path is /usr/local/bin.

If /usr/local/bin is not in your $PATH environment variable, or is listed after /usr/bin, the system will find the HP version first and use it. Run "/usr/local/bin/ssh -V" and look at the results: if it displays a different version number, this is what is happening.

You'll now have a choice: do you want to use the latest (but unsupported by HP) OpenSSH, or an older-but-supported HP-UX Secure Shell?

If you want to use the latest OpenSSH, you might want to swremove the HP-UX Secure Shell. After that, make sure that the OpenSSH sshd daemon is running and is properly configured to start at boot time, if you want to allow incoming ssh connections to the server: since the HP-UX Secure Shell has been running until now, the OpenSSH version has been unable to claim port 22 and may have died immediately after starting.

MK
rariasn
Honored Contributor

Hi:

Hi:

Lisft file instalation:

Secure Shell:

#

# swlist -l file Secure_Shell | more

Open SSL:

# swlist -l file openssl | more

rgs,

Uday_S_Ankolekar
Honored Contributor

If you are using HP's secure shell you usually see the same output with ssh -V

if you are using just openssh then ssh -V will show 

OpenSSH_5.8p2, OpenSSL 1.0.0d 8 Feb 2011

Your rc.log should show you if  HP's ssh started during systme boot

Starting HP-UX Secure Shell
Output from "/sbin/rc2.d/S393secsh start":
----------------------------
HP-UX Secure Shell started

Good Luck..
Vengat
Advisor

Hi

Thanks a ton for wonderfull support.

And i need one info :

How to put this oensshd entry in startup service.

/usr/local/sbin/sshd