5913 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle backup

jaivinder
Frequent Advisor

Oracle backup

Hi Experts,

In my setup i have to take the backup of the Oracle volume group vg_rac.This vg is shared by the both node of the MCSG cluster and i want to backup this vg data using some HPUX command .Is it possible to backup the raw data and if possible please suggest the way.
6 REPLIES 6
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The recommended way to backup oracle database is using RMAN. Ask your DBA to provide RMAN scripts to backup data.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
jaivinder
Frequent Advisor

I do not want to use RMAN and if i can use ignite or any other HPUX command.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

The only command that can backup RAW data is "dd". But it's bad idea, again, you should be familiarized and use RMAN. Rman will provide consistent backup, incremental backups, archive logs handling, online backups, etc.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Oviwan
Honored Contributor

RMAN should be your choice. dd would work but is not consistent etc..
jaivinder
Frequent Advisor

How to backup the oracle raw data with dd .Please specify the complete syntax. This is only for experimental check.
dirk dierickx
Honored Contributor

you can use dd, but be aware that you database should be offline for it to work.

well, with work i mean that you will otherwise end up with a corrupt filesystem or at least database on restore.