1752685 Members
5358 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Password status - NP, PS, LK

Lingaraja Patil
Occasional Contributor

Password status - NP, PS, LK

Right now all the system logins in HP-UX Ver. 10.20 server have LK(Locked)status. If I change the status of these logins to NP(No Password), then what will be the side effects on the OS/the applications running on this OS.
What I know that "If status is NP, then user will not be authenticated, and he can't read password field". But the information I need is::: what is the use of making status into NP ???
5 REPLIES 5
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The primary use of making a login "NP" is to make your system extremely vulnerable to attack. If you are going to do this then do it right and also remove root's passwd hash while you are at it.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The use of NP is to to allow your system to be instantly turned into trash by the next hacker that finds it. All the logins may have the LK status because you changed to a Trusted system without using SAM (the recommended method). Unlock the accounts with this command:

/usr/lbin/modprpw -V

Now user's will still have their original passwords and your system is protected.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Lingaraja Patil
Occasional Contributor

Ok. What I understand from ur replies is, changing status to NP is totally a bad solution. Am I right???
And the server is not a Trusted Host. Only System Logins are in LK status. Not all the users.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

If by "System Logins" you mean user IDs such as lp, sys, bin, daemon, adm, etc then you are correct. These are not 'real' users but required for proper system operation. Leave them in the LK state. No user ID on your system should have NP status.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
niro44

The status is "PS" if the user has a password, "LK" if the user has an
  administrative lock, or "NP" if the user has no password.