7381 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Performance Issue

Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

Re: Performance Issue

1. Dont believe the application people.
2. Install glance and the performance agent.. If you install it you should be able to start a 60 day trial. You can do alot of tuning of your system in 60 days and then if you like the tool (HP hopes you will) then you can decide if its worth the price and consider a purchase but until that point you have used it.

3. First look at the load average (run queue). If the average is under 1 then you do not have a cpu bottleneck. You can get this from top

4. second look at the busiest disk and if it is less than about 70% busy you probably not have disk bottlenecks.

sar -d 5 1000

this will show you all of your disks.

5. Next look at memory utilization. IF you are less than 90% full then you have enough memory.

This is only a start but some basic things to look at.

kunjuttan
Super Advisor

Is glance software is a freeware or do i need license for the same??
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

It is licensed software but free to try for up to 120 days.

BUT let me ask you -- if this is a SuperDome i2 -- chances aer you are running better than HP-UX 11.31 Base OE -- that means your SHOULD have GlancePlus/Pak installed and alerady part of your OS...

can you see if you can luanch "glance"? Also see if there is a /opt/perf tree. Your Glance Executable should be /opt/perf/bin/glance

If you are on an X-windows environment -- then it will launch it gaphically with xglance.

Hakuna Matata.

Alzhy,

> The 'Dome in a C7000 Chassis?

Whilst the SD2 certainly borrows a lot of its technology from a C7000 chassis, it definately isn't a C7000 chassis!

The C7000 chassis is 10U in height, the SD2 chassis is 18U in height. You can't put SD2 cell-blades in a C7000, and you can't put standard blades from a C7000 in a SD2 chassis (at least not yet... maybe never)

But I'm sure you know this..

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hi kunjuttan,

Yes glance is free but it depends on your OE as one of the needs of an operating environment is for "license management". When you talk in terms of OEURs as alzhy said glance is there on base OE. However if you are having an O.S of an initial release which had OES like foundation, enterprise, M.C.O.E etc.. The foundation OE does not have glance. But all operating environment update releases {base, HA, VSE, DCOE } have glance.

Regards
Ismail Azad
Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....

Ismail,

No, the Base OE (BOE) _does not_ contain Glance. Only VSOE, HAOE and DCOE have Glance.

In "old money" (i.e. the old operating environments), FOE did not have glance, whilst EOE and MCOE did.

Kunjuttan...

swlist *OE

will tell you which operating environment you have installed.

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Duncan: swlist *OE

You should quote that to be safe: swlist "*OE"
Jean-Luc Oudart
Honored Contributor

Hi

When the application team is telling the server performance is very poor, what are they comparing with ? Do you have a baseline performance ? Is this new behaviour ? What changes have been introduced to the system prior to the change in performance ?

Also, I believe we could help better if you could tell us more about the application (underlying sw, database engine, ...) and infrastructure (eg SAN storage).

Regards
Jean-Luc
fiat lux