4267 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Performance issues

NDO
Super Advisor

Performance issues

Hi

I am having performance issues (slowness) in a server that runs an application, in which the application connects to another server where a oracle database resides. I wonder that slowness comes from the fact the servers hardware are completely diferent.

The application server is running on a "ia64 hp Integrity BL860c i2" with the following hardware on it:

• 2 physical CPUs
  • 98Gb of RAM
  • Flex 10 embedded ethernet
  • 8Gb FC HBA

And the database server rx7640 has the following hardware:

• 65Gb of RAM
  • 8 CPUs
  • 4Gb FC HBA
  • PCI-X 1000Base T network card (1Gbps)

The connecton to the storage equipment is made via a 8Gb brocade swicth.

The slowness we see on the application server, were the users, have to pull out reports.

I was thinking in acquiring new hardware for the app server, but I dont know if the slowness will go away.

Can you help me to establish or with hints to alleviate the issue

2 REPLIES 2
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You need to look at the Oracle performance first. If it is being clobbered by massive requests, every app that points to it will be affected. But if Oracle is lightly loaded (look at the Oracle perf statistics), then see if the applicaion waiting for data. You may have a misconfigured LAN connection. Or the server where the application is running is overloaded by other processes. 

You'll need to check with your DBA and the sysadmin to take a look at how things are running before looking at new hardware.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
NDO
Super Advisor

Thanks for the post, I will have a DBA to do that, as I dont have skills on oracle.

Thank you