108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Periodical reboot of the servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

Under what circumstances parent processes gets killed prior to children processes ?

Some folks told me that on some very higher end hpux unix reboot may not be possible even after patching. Are these higher end hpux like superdome has different architecture than normal hpux servers ?

Thanks,
Shiv
Shivkumar
Super Advisor

A Clay Stephenson;

You mentioned that "Zombies consume no resources (other than a slot in the process table) so as long as you are well below nproc there is absolutely no harm in them."

Could you please eloborate on relationship between nproc and zombies ?

Thanks and regards,
Shiv
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You asked:

"Some folks told me that on some very higher end hpux unix reboot may not be possible even after patching. Are these higher end hpux like superdome has different architecture than normal hpux servers ?"

Your information is incorrect. The largest HP 9000 computers run the same HP-UX code that a small workstation runs. If a reboot is not possible, then the multi-million dollar machine would be useless. Perhaps what was incorectly stated is that high end machines may not need to be rebooted because some patches do not require a reboot. The same is true for a small HP-UX workstation. Virtually all kernel and driver patches will require a reboot. There are features in high end machines that allow independent virtual computers to be created.

"Could you please eloborate on relationship between nproc and zombies ?"

nproc sets the size of the process table. A zombie was a program that was improperly terminated so it occupies one slot in the process table. If you have some very bad programs that create lots of zombies, it's possible that after a few weeks, the number of zombies will be significant. But as Clay said, you fix the broken code, not reboot the server to correct extraneous zombie programs.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi shiv,

As expert have said above, there is indeed no good reasons for rebooting a server which is performing well.

if you suspect that there is performance problem, better check it at the application level.

In most cases, The applications can be restarted without a server restart!

We have a system which has been running about 10 years! and we have restarted it only in some cases of extended power-cut, preventive maintenace and ... i don't remember...

The last figures are:
K250: home/yd>uptime
8:33am up 201 days, 1:25, 100 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.01

hope this helps too!
regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Rajesh SB
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shiv,

As you are interested to know about relation between zombie and nproc.
Here I would like to share on realtime example facing here. One of my HPUX 11.00 running with Samba server. When keep it running long time, generating many "smbd" zombie process. These process consuming system parameter "nproc". One day nproc parameter overflow and system wouldn't respond. Only way is to reboot.

Example here:
See the "top" command output: Obeserve for 340 zombies generated by smbd.

System: shimsha Mon Sep 5 10:10:45 2005
Load averages: 0.03, 0.04, 0.04
458 processes: 114 sleeping, 4 running, 340 zombies
Cpu states:
CPU LOAD USER NICE SYS IDLE BLOCK SWAIT INTR SSYS
0 0.07 0.0% 0.0% 0.2% 99.8% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%
1 0.00 0.2% 0.0% 0.8% 99.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%
--- ---- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----
avg 0.03 0.0% 0.0% 0.4% 99.6% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%

Memory: 110344K (60352K) real, 99812K (58844K) virtual, 184816K free Page# 1/42

CPU TTY PID USERNAME PRI NI SIZE RES STATE TIME %WCPU %CPU COMMAND
1 ? 27945 root 149 20 0K 0K zomb 0:01 1.98 1.98 smbd
0 ? 4708 root 149 20 0K 0K zomb 0:00 0.44 0.44 smbd

# sar -v 2 3

HP-UX shimsha B.11.00 A 9000/800 09/05/05

10:12:09 text-sz ov proc-sz ov inod-sz ov file-sz ov
10:12:11 N/A N/A 459/4116 0 0/5700 0 634/9785 0

# ps -ef|grep defunc|wc -l

I am living with this test setup by increasing the nproc parameters to high value and periodically restarting samba service or server zombies are clearing.

Thanks & Regards,
RAjesh
kenny chia
Regular Advisor

I have a few systems that suffer from memory leaks.
But it seems that restarting the applications will not release the memory, only a reboot will
All Your Bases Are Belong To Us!
Cem Tugrul
Esteemed Contributor

Shiv,
Thers is no rule for all unix systems to be periodically rebooted.The main point is to monitoring your systems and detect zombie processes if you have many zombies then if possible to kill parent processes if not
of course rebooting is the only way...
Good Luck,
Our greatest duty in this life is to help others. And please, if you can't
Alessandro Pilati
Esteemed Contributor

Shiv,
there is a way to release memory resources held by dead processes or idle clients.

If semaphores or shared memory, use ipcs to view and ipcrm to remove.

If network resources, use
ndd -get /dev/tcp tcp_status
to view the network resources status

and
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_discon
to release the resource ( is a value of the first column of the "ndd -get ..." command )

Have a look also to this past forum :
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=204695
Zombie process many times are not a problem.

Anyway, I agree with the idea that reboot must be the last solution.

Best regards,
Alex
if you don't try, you'll never know if you are able to