4577 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

permission strange Issue

itrc55
Regular Advisor

permission strange Issue

Hi,

i enabled the trusted mode on all HP servers (11.31) without problem, but when i copy file or directory from server to other by using sftp command the permission on destination server it's different of source server. ??!

and when i disable the trusted mode on destination server the permission will be the same on source.

How can i resolve this issue with trusted mode enabled ?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: permission strange Issue

Hi:

By default, Trusted mode provides a more secure 'umask'.  You can "loosen" the security by choosing a different 'umask' in '/etc/default/security' (globally or system-wide) and/or in '/var/adm/userdb' for changing on a per-user basis.  See the 'security(4) and the 'userdb(4)' manpages for more information.

Regards!

...JRF...

itrc55
Regular Advisor

Hi,

what is the best value of umask to avoid permission changed when copy file from system to other.

please i need answer because it's very urgent case.

where the current value is 0 and range is 0 - 511

and i try to change it to 331 for example and this the result r-- --- ---

please your support

Thanks

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@itrc55 wrote:

what is the best value of umask to avoid permission changed when copy file from system to other.

Keeping the 'umask' the same on your systems is one way.  Using 'scp -p' is another.

Regards!

...JRF...

itrc55
Regular Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your support the -p option its working with acp command. but in my case other system push more files to HP-UX system by using sftp command how to resolve this issue. and all system has same umask 0

Thanks again
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@itrc55 wrote:

Thanks for your support the -p option its working with acp command. but in my case other system push more files to HP-UX system by using sftp command how to resolve this issue. and all system has same umask 0

You should also be able to do this more directly by specifying 'chmod' in the SFTP sesion dialog you specifiy.

Regards!

...JRF...

itrc55
Regular Advisor

Hi,

"You should also be able to do this more directly by specifying 'chmod' in the SFTP sesion dialog you specifiy."

but i said before the source system push it files by sftp command with 755 permission (Example) but the permission on the destination system is 700 always when trusted mode enabled.

is there any solution for that ?

Thanks

James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

@itrc55 wrote:

but i said before the source system push it files by sftp command with 755 permission (Example) but the permission on the destination system is 700 always when trusted mode enabled.

is there any solution for that ?

Do (by example):

# sftp ...

> put /path/to/file

> chmod 555 /path/to/file

Like all good software you can always ask 'sftp' for help by typing "help" after establishing a connection.

Regards!

...JRF...

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

> chmod 555 /path/to/file

I assume you are now implying that "scp -p" won't help?

Earl_Crowder
Trusted Contributor

If you cannot change the scripts that are sftp-ing to your host, you can touch the file "/etc/default/BYPASS_TRUSTED_SYSTEM_UMASK_RESTRICTIONS" .  You need patch PHCO_39232 for 11.31 (or later) to enable this functionality.

Beware the security implications of doing this.