1748024 Members
3969 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Planned shut down or panic

seema_hpux
Occasional Visitor

Plaaned shut down or panic

If server suddenly reboots how to check whether it is planned or panic?

5 REPLIES 5
rariasn
Honored Contributor

Re: Plaaned shut down or panic

Hi:

Verify /etc/shutdownlog file.

rgs,

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>If server suddenly reboots how to check whether it is planned or panic?

If suddenly, it is a panic.  (Unless you don't remember you just did it. ;-)

Any dumps in /var/adm/crash/?

seema_hpux
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

Please tell me what ara the possible steps to follow...I am blank how to start and what file to check and what output will i get if i check those file...

Thank  yo..

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

As rariasn said:

check /etc/shutdownlog for recent shutdowns.

Check /var/adm/crash/ for recent crashes.

You can use uptime(1) to see when you system came back up.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The /etc/shutdownlog will list the times when a controlled shutdown was done, and whether it was a halt or a reboot. If you find an entry in the shutdownlog with a timestamp close to the reboot time you're investigating, someone definitely commanded the server to shut down.

If there is no matching entry in the shutdownlog, it might be an OS panic, a severe hardware issue or a power blackout: check /var/adm/crash to see if there is a crashdump. If there is no crashdump, check the Management Processor log, if the server has one.

Note that some hardware management processors cannot always log a "power failed" message in a total power blackout situation... because when it happens, there will be no power for writing the log. Instead, they will log a "power was restored" message as soon as there is power again: if you see a "power was restored" message without a corresponding "power failure" message before it, you will know that the server completely lost all power. If only some power supply modules in a multi-PSU server lose power, the management processor can usually log the failure and identify the power supply that had the problem.

MK