5319 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Print information

SOLVED
Go to solution
tvd-hp

Print information

I have read forum topics but I did not find the information I am looking for. A search on the net didn't help me out either.

What I am looking for is where the information about remote print queues is stored. Specifically the remote address. I know I can get the information using lpmgr/lpstat/SAM/... But I would like to know where on the system this information is stored. The specific file that is. I have no idea why this information cannot be found anywhere (easily, though I've bee looking for quite a while). I appreciate your help!
4 REPLIES 4
Jose Mosquera
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Please go at "Printer" theme (Table of Contents page 64) inside of HP-UX System Administrator's Guide:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02281492/c02281492.pdf

I hope it's useful

Rgds.
tvd-hp

Hi Jose Mosquera, thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately, it doesnt't help. The "Administrators Guide: Overview" just points to the "Administrators Guide: Configuration" and that just explains how to add/remove remote printers using SAM/lpadmin, along with some other commands thrown in. It doesn't say which files are used or where the information is stored.

I would really like to find this information on the system. During my search I came across other people who were looking for the same info. On AIX the info can be found in /etc/qconfig. I find it hard to imagine that HP hides this info so well that, until now, I found nobody who knows where it is, hehe.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

The file is called /var/spool/lp/pstatus. However, it is a binary file so this is about all you can see:

strings /var/spool/lp/pstatus

You'll need sam to decode it. Remote printers could be setup as an IP address or as a hostname. Network printers are setup differently but will also have an IP or hostname.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
tvd-hp

Hi Bill

thank you for the information. That file does seem to hold the information. Too bad that it's a binary, but at least now I know where the information is stored and I can put this to rest. I awarded you all points, as this is a pretty straightforward answer.