New Discussion

Re: Problem Loading Custom Font

SOLVED
Go to solution
tony j. podrasky
Valued Contributor

Problem Loading Custom Font

Hello Everyone;

I've done all the research I could and tried everything. I've dead-ended. Now I need to ask for help.

Running Fedora 16 Linux.

--

I have a custom font that I want to load on the Fedora 16 box. It runs on all my RedHat Ent 3.0 boxes just fine.

The font was composed to look like an old Teletype Model 15 - with weather symbols. Useless to probably everyone

else in the world but fun for me, while I work on connecting a Teletype 35-KSR as a console. 

ANYWAY, here's what I can tell you: "some" of the system knows it's there - but xlsfonts doesn't know about it.

Here are some of the commands I've run with the results.

(In theory there is an attachment called "font.txt"

Thanx for any help or ideas.

regards,

tonyp

REMEMBER: Once you eliminate your #1 problem, #2 gets a promotion.
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

First, you might want to try refreshing the font cache of the fontconfig system: "fc-cache -fv".

Second, which directories is your X server loading its fonts from? Is /usr/share/X11/fonts/TTF included in the list?

Run "xset q" and read the "Font Path" part. You can add entries to the end of the font path with "xset fp+ <pathname>".

If the font path includes X font server specifications (like "unix/:7100"), you can use "fslsfonts -server <font server specification>" to see which fonts are offered by the font server. If your font server is "xfstt", you might need to stop the font server (service xfstt stop), then run "xfstt --sync" and restart the font server.

MK
tony j. podrasky
Valued Contributor

Hello Matti;

Thank you for your response.

I am now thinking that when I did a "load everything" during the build from the DVDs, that it didn't REALLY load everything:

The <xfs> utility is nowhere on the system and <xfstt> does not exist either.

An "apropos xfs" brings up manpages for a type of filesystem.

Do you know what utility I should load to work with fonts?

Some are there - as is evident with the <fc> commands working. But it <xfs> not existing, it makes sense that commands like <xlsfonts> won't show my new teletype font in the list.

Again, thanx for any help or ideas.

regards,

tonyp

tony j. podrasky
Valued Contributor

Hello Everyone;

OK - this font thing is getting more bizzare each time I work on it:

I just read a post, telling a user how to install fonts. Well, I've done everything that he told him to do.

Now - here's the interesting part:  He says: "Now open Open Office Writer or Gimp, and your fonts should be available!"

So I fire-off Gimp, open the text font widget - and it lists the Teletype font! I select it, and it works!

Then I try Open Office (Libreoffice), open the font widget - and it lists (and loads) the Teletype font too!

Maybe something has changed with <xterm> since RedHat 3 ENT and Fedora 16. Here's a list of the entries and how I'm trying to load them:

root% cd /usr/share/X11/fonts/TTF

root% ls -la

-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          165 Mar 27 11:40 fonts.dir
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          165 Mar 27 11:40 fonts.scale
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        65700 Mar 27 11:00 teletype_1945.ttf

root% cat fonts.dir
teletype_1945.ttf -misc-teletype 1945_1985-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-ascii-0
teletype_1945.ttf -misc-teletype 1945_1985-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1

root%  xterm -fn teletype_1945.ttf
xterm: cannot load font 'teletype_1945.ttf'
xterm: cannot load font 'teletype_1945.ttf'

root%  xterm -fn " -misc-teletype 1945_1985-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1"
xterm: cannot load font '-misc-teletype 1945_1985-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1'
xterm: cannot load font ' -misc-teletype 1945_1985-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-m-0-iso10646-1'

Any ideas?

regards,

tonyp

tony j. podrasky
Valued Contributor

Latest Info:

XFS has been discontinued. The consortium says it's too bloated and took it out of the build. That explains why some of the X font utilities are there but XFS is not.

There are still some RPMs on xorg but I haven't found one that will load on my platform.

regards,

tonyp

tony j. podrasky
Valued Contributor
Solution

Well, I FINALLY got the system to display the Teletype font.

I loaded so much stuff, I'm not sure what did it.

I loaded everything on my backup disk (sdb). I've just done a backup of sda and will begin to pull in the files and see what does the trick.

regards,

tonyp