New Discussion юеВ

PSP & kernel upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

PSP & kernel upgrade

Hi,

We are running RHEL 4 on a couple of blade servers (BL20p G3) that are running Proliant-Supp Pack 7.80.

Until now I never considered performing a kernel update...I was wondering if I'm going to break my kernel modules (ethernet driver, qlogic hba drivers provided by PSP etc) by upgrading the kernel? The major & minor version stays the same: 2.6.9

These modules were compiled from source as I understand and I had to install kernel source pacakges when I installed them thru PSP...).

Please share your experiences.

Thanks,
Jorge
4 REPLIES 4
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: PSP & kernel upgrade

You can combine 2 updates - first update kernel to new version, and after that upgrade PSP to latest version (8.10) - http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3716247&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=3716246&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2025

No matter that major and minor version is the same on both kernels, there can be many changes, related to drivers, included in PSP.

regards,
ivan
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Thanks Ivan. That sounds like a good idea. It's been a year since we've been using 7.80.

Is it a matter of running PSP again and select the rpm's I want to install/reinstall? Should I remove the pertinent rpms before?

Best regards,
Jorge
Ivan Krastev
Honored Contributor

After a quick look at install script found that:
# if the package version is greater than the installed
# version then do the RPM install.
./vercmp ${curver%%\.[A-Za-z]*} ${newver%%\.[A-Za-z]*} > /dev/null 2>&1
isVersionNewer=$?
[ $isVersionNewer -eq 1 ] && installRPM=`expr 1`

# if installRPM is equal to one, then installation
# proceeds, else skip installation
if [ $installRPM -eq 1 ]
then
rpm -Uv --nodeps --force $i >/dev/null 2>&1
fi

If version is newer - it will be updated.
regards,
ivan
Jorge Fabregas
Regular Advisor

Thanks Ivan.