New Discussion юеВ

Re: Question about tar backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

Question about tar backup

Hello --

I was tasked with doing a backup of several Windows directories. These directories were copied from their original location to one of our HP-UX servers. The original location was a Windows 2008 server which utilized the NTFS filesystem with a set of permissions. One backup, via Data Protector was completed without issue. The next backup will be via the GNU tar 1.19 release.

The question that I had is the following: Will the permissions to the directories that were present on the Windows server be retained during the backup and eventual restoration?

Thanks.

A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

Since these files now reside on your HP-UX server, my guess is that the only permissions that will be backed up via the gtar backup are the unix permissions.

I seriously doubt that HP-UX has any idea about any of the Windows permissions for these files.  The only permissions you'll have with the HP-UX files are whatever basic Unix permissions they are currently assigned.

If you were to copy the files back to Windows you will more than likely wind up with the permissions of the user that is running the copy on the Windows server.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Any reason you don't use Data Protector directly on your Windows box?

Andrew Kaplan
Super Advisor

The server from which the directories came is not under our direct control. We are allowed to save files there, but nothing beyond that. Consequently, installing Data Protector on that server is not an option.

A Journey In The Quest Of Knowledge
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor