108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: redhat linux 4 and eva 5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
unre4l
Advisor

redhat linux 4 and eva 5000

We are trying to join a rhel4 update 5 machine to an eva 5000 san. There are 2 paths going to 2 redundant switches but I understand that only active passive is supported by default on an eva 5000. After setting up zoning and such in the switch we install the linux drivers from hp--
Linux Driver Kit for FC HBAs (Qlogic) and Qlogic-based FC Mezzanine HBAs 7.07.05/8.01.06
and the san surfer utility as well
SANSurfer Manager for Qlogic FC HBAs and Qlogic-based FC Mezz HBAs 5.0.0.b14.

My question is after instlaling this driver kit and presenting a lun to this system how many devices should linux be seeing? If we assign a 50 gig lun should it see
/dev/sdb - 50G and
/dev/sdc - 50G
since there are multiple paths to it or
should it see just
/dev/sdb since it is in active passive.

On two different linux machines we are seeing each of the above results and wanted to know what the expected results would be in a scenario like that.

I did go through this document
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechDocumentDetailPage_IDX/1,1701,7
248,00.html
and it seems to indicate that we should just see just one.
5 REPLIES 5
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

there should be multiple paths/device names coming for the single disk.

here see i get multiple device names for the same LUN

0 QLogic Fibre Channel 2300 sdd SP B0 active alive 0 0
0 QLogic Fibre Channel 2300 sdh SP A1 active alive 0 0
1 QLogic Fibre Channel 2300 sdl SP B1 active alive 0 0
1 QLogic Fibre Channel 2300 sdp SP A0 active alive 0 0
unre4l
Advisor

Is that with an eva 5000 using the hp driver kit? You have 4 active paths. In our case there are 2 paths to the eva and the driver is in failover mode as active passive.
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

This is EMC clariion disk array with two FC cards and each of them go to two different controller on disk array.So effectively 4 paths
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

If you have installed the HP drivers for the QLogic cards, then you should only see one path for each LUN, assuming that you set the failover parameter when installing the drivers.

If you take a look at the output of dmesg you should be able to see the mapping between the EVA LUNs and the /dev/sdX devices.

You should also be able to list the SCSI disks with the command lssd.

If you didn't set the failover parameter at install time, then you can set it afterwards with the setparms command, I think. Check the README in the install package. It should tell you what you need to change.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
unre4l
Advisor

The linux box which was still showing 2 paths had to be rebooted and now it is showing it as a single path like you mentioned. Thanks.