1752619 Members
4421 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Remote lp queues only allowing 1 job at a time

Brad_Edwards
Advisor

Remote lp queues only allowing 1 job at a time

I have several SAP application servers that have remote LP queues set up on them to remote print to HPUX print servers. For some reason today, I'm seeing a large number of queued jobs in the queues on the SAP application servers, even though the queues on the remote HPUX print server are cleared and enabled.

If I disable one of the queues on the SAP application server, and then re-enable it, 1 or 2 jobs goes through, and then the flow stops again. It takes another disable/enable to get another 1 or 2 jobs through. When I check the status of the queue when its stalled, the spooler tells me its enabled. This is affecting multiple queues across multiple geographies, but not all print queues appear to be affected. Only those going long distances (EMEA/APJ).

In the SAP application, people are seeing errors 'The host spooler is responding too slowly to queries about print request. As this can decrease performance, the specified printer has been temporarily locked.' Resources (RAM/disk) on the systems do not appear to be impacted by any performance problems. Anyone seen this behavior before?
2 REPLIES 2
Brad_Edwards
Advisor

Re: Remote lp queues only allowing 1 job at a time

Some additional information:

It appears that only one geography is affected right now (EMEA), and not all the printers in that geography are affected. It seems like the rlp application is waiting for some acknowledgement from the EMEA UNIX print server before continuing to send jobs to the queue.

We have seen a problem before when the target printer loses network connectivity that this will disable the queue on the UNIX print server, and then disable the queue on the SAP Application server too, but usually only one disable/enable is required to get print flowing again. We have a script that does this automatically on the UNIX print server every 15 minutes or so. That does not appear to be helping this time.

I have to disable and enable the queue on the SAP application server to get things moving, and then it's only 1 or 2 job at a time. I would expect to see the SAP queue disabled at this point, but the spooler shows that the queue is disable and that it's "printing" the next job in the queue, but nothing happens.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
sudhanshu saxena

Re: Remote lp queues only allowing 1 job at a time

you have rightly mentioned that rlp application waits for some acknowledgement from the EMEA UNIX print server before continuing to send jobs to the queue. there are some recommendation from SAP papers to disable this acknowledgement ...
You do this in Transaction SPAD -> Output devices.
+++++++++
You also mentioned about printer behavior of stopping after printing 2 or 3 jobs ... Here SAP apps locks the printer upon unsuccessful acknowledgement .
++++++++
You may also want to look at the parameter "rspo/lpq/temp_disable_slow" which is used to set the maximum response time allowed. The parameter "rspo/lpq/temp_disable_time" is used to set the temporary lock time
+++++++++