108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: removing volume groups

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Boyer
Advisor

removing volume groups

I need to remove all our volume groups and any association to that VG, so that we can reuse the Hexnumber. will vgexport
16 REPLIES 16
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

reuse the hex number? are you using hp-ux? anyway you can use vgexport on inactive vg's.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Steven Boyer
Advisor

yes we need all references to the hexnumber removed so that we can use it again with the same or a different device. when we try to use a hexnumber that is NOT listed in the /dev/*/groups, using vgcreate we get an error that the number is already in use.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Are you sure that is the exact error? I would assume you just have maxvgs in the kernel set to low.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Steven Boyer
Advisor

yes we are using a hexnumber that we used successfully before and did a vgremove and tried to use that number again.

exact error "volume group /dev/vg_testsize could not be created: A volume group is already using this major and minor number please check the minor number of the "group" device file.

We checked /dev/*/groups prior to doing mkdir and mknode and that number did not exist. the mknode allowed us to use it the error came with the vgcreate

the maxvgs=80
x04a0000 is 74 and with in range.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

try vgexport -f vgnname.
Steven Boyer
Advisor

-f is for output file
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Sorry, i get used to -f meaning force in other commands. just try the vgexport vgname. if that doesn't work try this:

mv /etc/lvmtab /etc/lvmtab.old
vgscan -v

now try vgcreate again.
Steven Boyer
Advisor

im a little reluctant to to mv the lvtab file and run vgscan.... what will that do to existing VG that are already mounted and serving data
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

it's just going to recreate the file. it's not going to change data in the vg areas on disk. and that is the reason i put the steps to make the backup in the case it doesn't work. I am not offering advice that any other hpux admin wouldn't offer. the choice is yours.