1753820 Members
8866 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

resize window

Allanm
Super Advisor

resize window

While viewing logs or grepping for information I want the lines to be as long as my ssh window. I tried running "resize" command but the words still get wrapped like before , I also tried to manually set the values of LINES and COLUMNS but no luck. Please suggest what to do.

Also what shall I do to able to scroll back (vertically)longer in my ssh window, would that be part of my ssh client or I can do that through the unix command prompt.

Thanks,
Allan
3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: resize window

>I tried running "resize" command but the words still get wrapped like before, I also tried to manually set the values of LINES and COLUMNS but no luck.

To use resize, you need to do: eval `resize`
Have you tried changing the window size first?
(You may also have to regenerate the output.)

>what shall I do to able to scroll back (vertically) longer in my ssh window,

What type of window do you have? Typically you would need to have a scroll bar.
Oviwan
Honored Contributor

putty would do this for you...
Mike Stroyan
Honored Contributor

The problem with the window width may be in your terminal emulator rather than the commands that are outputting text. Could you try a different terminal emulator?

The limit of scrollback history is also set in your terminal emulator. But there is a possibility to use the linux 'screen' command to add another level of emulation. The -h option to screen can be used to set a number of lines of scrollback history in the emulated terminal that screen maintains.