6833 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Rlogin is working but rcp and rsh is not working

sacthivel.C
Frequent Advisor

Rlogin is working but rcp and rsh is not working

Hai,
we have 2 servers A and B. We are doing rcp from server A to server B.
Yesterday The server B was crashed and we formatted and reinstalled the os without formatting the home partition.
I configured the hosts.allow,hosts.deny,hosts.equiv and .rhosts in the server B.
Now i can able to rlogin to server B from server A but it isnot possible for me to run RCP and RSH from server A to B.
It is showing connetion refused.
There is no error messages in /var/log messages in both the servers.

Please help me to solve this issue.

Regards,
C.Sacthivel
5 REPLIES 5
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Rlogin is working but rcp and rsh is not working

by default ssh uses key authentication, not hosts.allow method.
see, for example http://everydaylht.com/howtos/system-administration/loggin-in-via-ssh-without-a-password/ this manual
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

BTW, messages from ssh you'll see in /var/log/secure
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

The server-side process of rlogin is called "rlogind", while the server-side process of rcp and rsh is "rshd". These server-side processes are normally started from inetd or xinetd whenever someone tries to connect using rcp/rsh/rlogin.

In most modern Linux distributions, they are neither installed nor enabled by default, because these services are not secure: you must deliberately install & enable them if you wish to use them.

Looks like your server B has no rshd service enabled, or there is a firewall/iptables rule that is configured to block rsh/rcp requests.

If you have a RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 (or Centos 5) system, use "yum install rshd" to make sure the rsh server is installed on server B. Then use "chkconfig --list rshd" to see if it's enabled; if it is not, enable with "chkconfig rshd on".

Use "iptables -L" to see if your system has iptables firewall rules configured. If it has, you'll have to create a rule for rcp/rsh access. In RHEL, you can use "system-config-securitylevel" to allow access to port 514/TCP ( = the rshd port) from the necessary network segment(s).

MK
MK
Vitaly Karasik_1
Honored Contributor

oh, sorry, please ignore my answers - I wrote about ssh/scp, not rcp.
sacthivel.C
Frequent Advisor

Hai MK,

Thanks for the reply.

The following is the statue of server B :

Os Version - RHEL AS 4 Update 4
Iptables - disabled
/etc/xinetd.d/rlogin - disable = no
/etc/xinetd.d/rsh - disable = no
nmap - 513/514 open

I can execute RCP or RLOGIn successfully from B to A but it is not possible for me to run RCP/RSH from A to B.

I am ready to provide any details you require.

Regards,

C.Sacthivel