108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Root logon denied at console.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Root logon denied at console.

Ok I have a Red Hat 3.0 box, and root has been disabled to logon from the console. The IP addresses have not been set for it's new location, so I cannot remote in. There are no other accounts on the box at the moment. How can I get into this server?
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
21 REPLIES 21
Gokul Chandola
Trusted Contributor

Re: Root logon denied at console.

Dear Adam,

Reboot the Linux machine by pressing the hardware reset button. In a default Linux installation, pressing CTL+ALT+DEL

Upon Linux booting up to GRUB loader GUI, move the arrow key up/down to highlight and select the Linux kernel and press e to edit the GRUB commands before booting.

Next, move the arrow key up/down to select the Linux kernel and press e again.

Append a single space followed by the word single at the end of edited line: - single

After pressing ENTER key, you should now have a similar GRUB screenshot as of follow. Keep the Linux kernel highlighted and press b to boot up with the ├в single├в keyword, which will boot Linux into single user maintenance mode.

Once the Linux boot up completely into single user maintenance mode, the Linux command prompt is ready to execute command. Now, you can type passwd to reset the forgotten root password - without prompting for old root password, just type a new root password and re-type to confirm.

Done. Type reboot or exit to reboot. On next boot up, you can login with the new root password!

You Can follow the atteched file also.

Regards,
Gokul Chandola
There is always some scope for improvment.
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

gokul,
Will doing the above, change the root console logon setting. The problem isn't that I don't know the password. I know the password. but root logon is disabled form the console.

Can I change the I.P. adress in single user mode?
There are two types of people in the world, Marines and those who wish they were.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

go into single user mode and check that console is in the file /etc/securetty.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Court,

Thanks for the info I will write mroe when I have the outcome.
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

Can I change the I.P. adress in single user mode?

yes you can. BUT STILL U NEED TO LOGIN FIRST.
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

Court,
I was able to get into the box using your process. Basically I went in single user mode reset the IP and subnet and was able to remote in. Weird thing is that "console" is in the /etc/securetty file, but I still cannot log into the console as root. Any other conflicting files that would not allow root to login from the console?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Maybe the /etc/security/access.conf file.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Can you login as root via any other method? And can anyone else login to the console?
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Adam W.
Valued Contributor

everyone can log on remotely via tectia client. However NO ONE can logon to the console.