7463 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Samba configuration issue

Sreer
Valued Contributor

Samba configuration issue

Hello Gurus,

I need to setup a samba server in My Linux 5.4 box.

Installed linux and modified the smb.conf as below  for mentioning the  NT domain.

root @server1:~#  more /etc/samba/smb.conf

-----
-----

#
        workgroup = ax.company.corp
        server string = Samba Server Version %v

;       netbios name = server1

after that restarted samba via /etc/init.d/smb start

then tried to join the NT domain as ax.company.corp

but getting the below errors

root @server1:~# net join ax.company.corp
cannot join as standalone machine
root @server1:~#

Could you please guide me where I went wrong?

Thank you

Sree

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Samba configuration issue

If you're planning to join a domain, you need to modify the "security" setting too. The default is security = user, which is similar to the default workgroup-only mode of Windows 98 etc.

If you are joining into a Windows NT domain (or a Windows 2000 or newer domain that allows pre-Active Directory domain members), you'll need security = domain.

If you are joining into an Active Directory domain using the native AD protocols, the required setting will be security = ads.

The "security" setting is one of the most important settings in a Samba server: you should read its description in the smb.conf man page: use the command "man smb.conf" to read it.

Note: if your domain controllers are Windows Server 2008 R2's, the default Samba server package of RHEL 5.4 will not support the newer security protocols required. You'll need a newer version of Samba: fortunately, RHEL 5.4 and later have a set of alternative Samba packages, named with the "samba3x" prefix.

If you're planning to join an AD domain in native mode (i.e. security=ads), you'll have to edit the /etc/krb5.conf file too. The necessary changes will require great attention to details: see the Samba documentation at www.samba.org for instructions.

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/

MK