108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

shell execution problem

harjeet_3
Occasional Advisor

shell execution problem

hello,

That, I use HP-UX ver 10.*

That, daily, I execute one shell present in the "global" folder which is sub-folder of /usr1/usr3, using the following commands.

#cd /usr1/usr3/global
#./ntpatch

Today I did the same but message appears "file not found"

That, I use ll/ls command to get the listing of file(s) in the folder named "global" but it shows ". not found". That folder is sub-folder of /usr1/usr3 folder. but if i use the listing command with full path i.e. "ll /usr1/usr3/global then it shows the list of files present in the "global" folder.

That, In this context I have taken a shutdown and run the fsck command for all the file-system including /usr1, but all is in vain.

In view of the above submission my query is why such strange thing begun to happen. Please help me as it is important shell that i have to execute daily.

thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
Prashantj
Valued Contributor

Re: shell execution problem

Hi Harjeet,

Please try to execute the script with sh -x command and if possible please send me script in txt format.

-Prashant
Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] I use HP-UX ver 10.*

uname -a

> [...] I use ll/ls command [...]

As usual, it can be more helpful to show
actual commands with their actual output,
rather than vague descriptions or
interpretations. Don't _tell_ me what you
did and what happened, _show_ me.

mount
cd [...]
ls -l [...]
[...]
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>i.e. "ll /usr1/usr3/global" then it shows the list of files present in the "global" directory.

What happens when you do: cksum /usr1/usr3/global/*

Can it find, then read the content of those files?
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The shell script must be executable when you type script name. ll will show the script, but to run a script, it must be executable (ie, 755 permissions).

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

> ". not found"

This error message would suggest filesystem corruption. I hope you have good backups.

> I have taken a shutdown and run the fsck command for all the file-system including /usr1, but all is in vain.

Did you run a _full_ fsck?

For vxfs-type filesystems, the default is to run a short filesystem check only. When the operating system detects the filesystem is damaged, it places a damage indicator to the superblock, which causes a full fsck to run automatically. But I guess some types of filesystem corruption might go undetected.

If the filesystem type is vxfs and you aren't 100% certain you already ran a _full_ filesystem check on it, please reboot the system to single-user mode and explicitly run a full filesystem check:

fsck -F vxfs -o full /dev/

MK
MK
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>MK: please reboot the system to single-user mode

Any reason you can't unmount it and run fsck(1m) in non-single-user mode?