New Discussion юеВ

Re: SLES10 LVM vgchange -c y

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter J. Kraus
Occasional Advisor

SLES10 LVM vgchange -c y

Hi

We have got a problem here regarding SLES10 with HA cluster.
Yesterday, I applied a 'vgchange -c y' to a volume group which I am not able to recover from. Any command leads to a message 'skipping clustered volume'. Does anybody know how to get rid of this cluster-tag?
Thanks for your help.
Peter
12 REPLIES 12
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

vgchange -c n
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

And I guess you could try activating the vg exclusively. vgchange -a e
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Peter J. Kraus
Occasional Advisor

vgchange -c n always gives an error:
skipping clustered volume

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

unmount any filesystems mounted from that vg. then vgchange -a n, vgchange -c n, vgchange -a y, then mount.
Peter J. Kraus
Occasional Advisor

Court,

thanks for your replies. We will try the steps you mentioned tomorrow morning.
Peter J. Kraus
Occasional Advisor

Unfortuately already the first command, vgchange -a n, gives the error skipping clustered volume group.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

OK, you'll have to work with me a little here. I am not a sles user; I use rhel. Do you have the file /etc/lwm/lvm.conf? I will assume that the file is in the same location as sles. And also is the clvmd service running? Here are two things you can try.

1. If clvmd is not running, start it. This should resolve the issue.

2. If clvmd is running or you have issues then edit lvm.conf and change "locking_type = 1".

Once you have done either of those you would follow the previous steps of umounting, etc.
Peter J. Kraus
Occasional Advisor

We already tried with changing the locking_type to 0 and back to 1.
Unfortunately SLES10 does not provide clvmd, so I cannot start it. We wanted to use HA for clustering.

Fortunately we are working on a new system which will go live in 2 weeks. So we can build from scratch new volume groups (as we did last night). But it can happen anytime and the customer will not wait for 6 hours to rebuild a system. So it would be nice to get a solution.
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

I have been scouring the novell site and it looks like they use evms2 to manage volumes, etc. You might open it up and see if you can edit the volume that way. Here is a doc I found that may help you with future ha setups:

http://wiki.novell.com/images/0/01/CHASF_preview_Nov172006.pdf

Sorry I couldn't provide a solid answer.