Driver version
8.02.00.06.05.03-k
Firmware version
3.03.26 IPX
Model name
QLA2312
OS RHEL 5.3
Fibreutils

Now the qusetion. When storage was allocated it did not show up in /proc scsi table even after doing a hp_rescan -a. I then did a
echo "1" > /sys/class/fc_host/host?/issue_lip which momentaraly showed up the storage in proc scsi. With the given details please tell me what the correct procedure or steps to follow to get new storage detected.
cheers
4 REPLIES 4
ossupport55
Frequent Advisor

Re: storage addidtion

Dear all,

Is there anything wrong in the question i have asked?

cheers
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

search it in the /sys directory :

class or devices

mikap

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

According to RedHat, the issue_lip is the correct procedure for RHEL 5.

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-3942

In RHEL 4, issue_lip was not "fully supported" (= not 100% reliable and/or supported with all FC drivers, I guess?).

I believe that hp_rescan was developed mainly to work around this problem in RHEL 4 and below. Last time I checked, hp_rescan was simply a script that used a combination of strategies similar to the above-mentioned RHKB article.

MK
MK
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

You need to issue a lip if you want to query any new devices. Otherwise you would have to reboot. A lip is does a reset and then basically says "hey, is anybody out there? please respond." I believe this is supposed to occur automagically when a device is added on the fabric, but doesn't always work.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"