1752681 Members
5372 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Swapspace is full

Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

You obviously added on swap........but what concerns me is where you did it!!

/dev/vg00/lvol3 is / on my box
/dev/vg00/lvol7 is /usr
/dev/vg00/lvol8 is /var

Now lvol7 & lvol8 might change as to the f/s associated...but lvol1, lvol2, lvol3 doesn't as a general rule.

So...I'd frankly if I'm seeing this right, you might need to rebuild that box from a recovery (tape or net).

Rita
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Apology to John Korterman...just noticed that he saw what I saw-first.

/rcw
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

"...U have huger swap and compared to memory, what is the application you are running...."

Sorry, I don't see the relevance.

"...if the additional swap lvols are on the same disk, the io will kill your server...."

Sorry, only to a point and because the o/s is also in vg00, else, io will be constant as 2ndary swap is written too in round robin order and not in parallel.

Going up: lvol2>lvol3>lvol7>lvol8
Going down: lvol8>lvol7>lvol3>lvol2

a) first reboot the server since you no longer have any memory

b) 2nd add more swap, another vg then vg00 would be preferred since the o/s is always the busiest disk. In the future, separate all your 2ndary swap from vg00 and onto another vg with other disks, then you'll be getting more spindles involved

c) Check for a memeory leak using this procedure:

1) 15 to 20 minute cron until id'd memeory leak

2) UNIX95=1 ps -ef -o vsz,pid,ppid,state,wchan,comm | sort -rn | head -15 >> /dir/outfile

Note: Put this into a script and add some headers and $DATE's with timestamps to make a readable report

3) Check the report from day to day, note any growth in the first column, the vsz column. A growing vsz will id the pid and ppid with the memory leak.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

OMG

"You obviously added on swap........but what concerns me is where you did it!!"

Geez Rita, you're right!!!
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
T. M. Louah
Esteemed Contributor

when I see 100% swap, I react by adding filesystem swap (not a good idea just short term temporary w/a) then I investigate where paging taking place and why.. once root cause identified, if i need to add swap, Device swap is best for performance and need to be assigned on different disks than primary swap.

t#
Little learning is dangerous!