4145 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tape drive busy status

Pravin Bari
Occasional Contributor

Tape drive busy status

Hello All,

I am using HP-UX 11.12 OS. today i was restoring some data from tape drive using SAM but in the process I aborted the operation as I want to restore some specific folders only to get restore not whole disk. So i cancel the process by pressing Ctrl+C but now my system shows device is busy. Also after pressing the Ctrl+C i am getting some Y/N kind of options i press N to each but it goes many times. Now my drive in busy state so how can i make it to normal state and how should i get restore specific folders on from my tape, i have the whole tape list.

A quick response is much appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Pravin.
7 REPLIES 7
ani007
Super Advisor

Re: Tape drive busy status

if possible please restart( power cycle) the tape drive.

then insert the tape & rewind it before restore.

#mt -f /dev/rmt/0mnb rew

First device will have name such as /dev/rmt/0m, /dev/rmt/1m and so on.

after that you try..

Regards,
Ani
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>HP-UX 11.12

(Was that 11.11?)
Have you killed all of the processes that were using the tape?
Pravin Bari
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick response. my problem is get solved as i killed the process which is run by root for that i used the following command

# fuser -u /dev/rmt/0mnb

then i git the PID & then i killed the process after that my drive comes in ready state but no also i am not able ti reuse it using SAM it is showing some error as given below.

UNEXPECTED EXIT: process LANG=C LC_ALL=C /usr/sam/lbin/samx -C -p 12364 -s br_sa_bdevs /usr/sam/lib//br.ui exited with a non-zero exit status
ani007
Super Advisor

I suspect it is a patch problem. Load the latest SAM cumulative patch and any dependencies. Please don't forget to assign points.
Pravin Bari
Occasional Contributor

Now i am not able to use SAM also when i start SAM it just open for few seconds then exit.
Pravin Bari
Occasional Contributor

My /var folder was 100% full as it is mounted on some other VG disk so i think this might cause the error!!!!!
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Clean you /var and make some space, everything will be ok.
Regards
Shibin