3657 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: /tcb, u_maxtries and various other vars

john guardian
Super Advisor

/tcb, u_maxtries and various other vars

Machine is 11.23 and uses TCB.

In checking /tcb/files/auth/system/default for u_maxtries, it was found to be 0 (NG).

I need to change it and several other vars to control login timeout value (30-45 secs) and time between login attempts (5 or more secs).

Is SAM the best approach?

What file/db (if any) holds the values for these other control vars?

Thx.
5 REPLIES 5
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

the file you are looking for (for changing these globally) is /etc/default/security

Hope this helps

/tcb. In other words, I'm talking about Trusted Systems.

On the manpage for security:

AUTH_MAXTRIES This attribute controls whether an account is locked after too many consecutive
authentication failures.

It does not apply to trusted systems.

Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

It can be placed it /etc/default/security but effectiveness of this setting is dependent on using PAM with ldap module accourding to this document. I have never configured it from scratch and took it for granted. So, I really don't know how the mechanics work. But here's the document:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=4164814&prodTypeId=18964&objectID=c02538590

also see this old forum thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/AUTH-MAXTRIES-not-working-in-HP-UX-11-31/m-p/5235169#M468988

information combined in both of them, may help you.

The link provided clearly speaks to Std Mode and /etc/shadow, something that is not applicable to Trusted Mode.

Anybody else... please?

Ismail Azad
Esteemed Contributor

Hey john,

Have always read in quiet a few places, one thing that HP reccommends for conversion to a trusted system is SAM. But that is for "conversion". Anyways although the *logout* term has been sort of an emptiness to me as far as a trusted system is concerned, I did come accross a database for one of the other control vars as you put it.

Speaking int terms of,

> time between login attempts.

The database for this control var as you put it is what is termed as u_llogin which hopefully you can modify with modprpw with the llog=value. However this specific database consists of time between *logins* and not *attempts*.

Regards
Ismail Azad

Read, read and read... Then read again until you read "between the lines".....