Operating System - Linux
1748282 Members
4031 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Trouble converting FileSystem metadata with fscdsconv in Linux (Veritas Storage Foundation)

RaulGomez
Collector

Trouble converting FileSystem metadata with fscdsconv in Linux (Veritas Storage Foundation)

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of migrating a Solaris 5.10 server to Linux Red Hat 6.4 

At this point, I'm trying to convert the byte order of some volumes that come from Solaris in my Linux server using the following command:

/opt/VRTS/bin/fscdsconv -y -e -f /tmp/vxConv/dbtemp01.tmp -t os_name=Linux,arch=x86 /dev/vx/rdsk/dgtemp/dbtemp01

Note: Because of the text formating, the above command could span several lines, but I'm executing it in just one

And I get the following errors:

UX:vxfs fscdsconv: ERROR: V-3-20012: not a valid vxfs file system
UX:vxfs fscdsconv: ERROR: V-3-24426: fscdsconv: Failed to migrate

Searching for a solution of these errors in the Veritas forums, I've found this post, where the user mikebounds gives some steps to migrate Solaris to Linux. I've found that I've replicated these steps but I get stuck on the fscdsconv because the beforementioned errors.

Does anyone know what could be happening here or have any sugestion to share?

Software Versions involved:

• RHEL 6.4 x86_64
  • Veritas Storage Foundation Enterprise 6.2.0.100 on Linux
  • Solaris 5.10
  • Veritas 5.0 on Solaris
  • Disk layout v7
  • vxfs filesystem format

Thank you very much in advance for any help/ideas to solve this

Best regards

Raul

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise) to Linux > System Administration. - Hp Forum moderator

1 REPLY 1
alanb1
Frequent Visitor

Re: Trouble converting FileSystem metadata with fscdsconv in Linux (Veritas Storage Foundation)

Hello,

I did some checking and found another Symantec reference that suggests the filesystem byte-order conversion using

fscdsconv needs to be done on the Solaris side first before it is exported to the Linux system:

REF: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH140562.html

The manpage for fscdsconv it its "-e" option you are using also states the same thing where the conversion

should be done first on the source side, exported, and then imported on the Linux side:

https://sort.symantec.com/public/documents/sf/5.0/solaris/manpages/vxfs/fscdsconv_1m.html

"

OPTIONS

-e

Exports the file system for use on the specified target. The fscdsconv command reports detailed information regarding the migration target, and waits for user confirmation before proceeding with the migration. If the target must be changed or further refined, the user can abort the migration at this stage and restart with a new target specification.

The fscdsconv command validates the file system to determine if there are any files that violate the known maximum limits of file size, UID, or GID on the target system, reports any such violations, and waits for user confirmation before proceeding. If any violations are reported, Symantec recommends that you abort the migration, rectify the violations, then restart the migration.

If the file system metadata must be byteswapped for use on the specified target, fscdsconv waits for user confirmation before proceeding with the migration.

After the export is complete and reported to be successful, the file system is ready for use on the target. If byteswapping was done as part of the export, the file system will no longer be accessible on the source machine."

Alternatively, the manpage does show the "-i" option which may be what you want to use if doing the conversion on

the Linux side:

"-i

Imports the file system for use on the current system. The fscdsconv command validates the file system to determine if there are any files that violate the known maximum limits of the file size, UID, or GID on the system, reports any such violations, and waits for user confirmation before proceeding. If any violations are reported, you may either abort the import, mount the file system on the source system, rectify the violations, then restart the import on the system, or proceed with the migration and rectify the violations after the migration completes.

If the file system metadata needs to be byteswapped for use on the system, the fscdsconv command waits for user confirmation before proceeding with the migration."

Caution: One should always have a backup of the original file system before performing conversion operations.

NOTE: One or more of the links above will take you outside the Hewlett-Packard Web site, HP does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the HP Web site.

I work for HP
A quick resolution to technical issues for your HP Enterprise products is just a click away HP Support Center Knowledge-base
See Self Help Post for more details