New Discussion юеВ

Re: Trying to add printer through HPPI

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Ferrara
Advisor

Trying to add printer through HPPI

Hi,
I'm trying to configure a printer using the HPPI interface. I have several printers that are working fine, but occasionally I get a printer that HPPI says it cannot ping.

I can ping the IP address from the my server. But when trying to create the printer, HPPI says it cannot ping. It then says I can add it but there may be problems. I am, in fact, able to add it, but the print jos just "hang out" in the queue forever. The printer I'm trying to add is an HP printer. We're running 11i.

One thing...I have the IP address of the Windows XP Print Server in my /etc/hosts file resolved to the printer name. I have the actual printers IP address, but I can't ping it.

Thanks for any help...
5 REPLIES 5
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

If you can't ping the printer, then chances are you won't be able to print to it...

Can you add it on the command line:

addqueue -i 9998 -q QUEUENAME -h dnsnameofprinter.yourdomain.com

Try hpnpadmin command on printer:

hpnpadmin -v QUEUENAME

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor
Solution

If Windoze can print to it, you could try adding it as a "remote" printer:

lpadmin -v/dev/null -mrmodel -pUNIXQUEUENAME -ormWINDOWSSERVER.YOURDOMAIN.COM -orpWINDOWSQUEUENAME

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Theresa Patrie
Regular Advisor

Steve,
I am having the same problem trying to add a plotter. What was your solution??
Thanks,
Theresa
This is my easy job!
Steve Ferrara
Advisor

Theresa,

I would usually get this warning when the printer was anything other than an HP printer. I would ignore the warnings HPPI gave me and continue adding it. Most times I don't have a problem.

In this particular situation, we were issued a new IP address to configure...so I don't really have an answer for you.

Have you gone ahead and added the printer despite the warnings? It may still work. Also, I've resorted to adding printers through SAM as remote printers.
Theresa Patrie
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the info Steve. This is the first non-HP printing device I have tried to add. I will just add it, ignoring the ping errors, and see what happens. Thanks.

BTW, you should assign me 0 points so you don't get accused of not assigning points.
This is my easy job!