3806 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: upgrade from RHEL5.0 32-bit to RHEL5.0 64-bit

nanoux
Advisor

upgrade from RHEL5.0 32-bit to RHEL5.0 64-bit

I need some guidline or document refrence to
migrate/upgrade from RHEL5.0 32-bit to RHEL5.0 64-bit.

Redhat cliams there is no such guideline available(ie just need to do a fresh installation ).glad if anyone could share your experience whom have treaded that path.

I would like to keep the existing file system structure & websphere applications in the server during this upgrading.
3 REPLIES 3
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

i did not know there are both 32 and bit versions available for 5.0
Don Vanco - Linux Ninja
Regular Advisor

I have not tried it myself, but you could simply boot CD1 and see if it offers the option to upgrade, or if it just goes to the partitioning menu (preparing to do a fresh install).

There was, in fact, a RHEL 5 64-bit release.

The only difference is that there will be a new lib64 directory, and of course all the 64-bit packages.

My advice for 64-bit users:
Make the following modification to RPM -
(this is what I put in my kickstart %post)
/bin/echo "%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}" >> /etc/rpm/macros

...when you make an RPM query it will show both 32- and 64-bit packages installed. Helps to avoid confusion when you run into issues with dependencies and you _think_ you have the correct packages present, when it's a 32- 64-bit package thing.....

Don
Srimalik
Valued Contributor

You can chose not to format any of the filesystems during Installation. It will keep all your data safe.

Not sure about the behaviour of websphere application :-(.
abandon all hope, ye who enter here..