Operating System - HP-UX
1748045 Members
4952 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

vg01 is not getting activated. Could not attach to the volume group to physical volume group

bhadresh_ic

vg01 is not getting activated. Could not attach to the volume group to physical volume group

Hi all,

I have HPB2600 HP unix machine. machine is having two hard disk both 36 gb. one hard disk is used for booting purpose with scsci ID 6 and other is for data base back up purpose with scsci ID 5. 

We restore server with boot disk back which is getting loaded in SCSCI ID hard disk 6, and was successful. we need to restore latest data base to another hard disk (SCSCI ID 5). As per procedure we need to use SAM and first define the volume group vg01 and logical volume lvol1. and after this we need to extract the data base from tape to disk via command tar xv.

I open the SAM to create volume group vg01 but it says it is already exist but dactivated. please use another name.

I tried to activate the vg01 btu it gives error vgchange: Warning: couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c2t5d0": cross device link

The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to
this volume group
vgchange: Warning: couldn't query the physical volumes "/dev/dsk/c2t5d0

Qourum not present.

please help !

2 REPLIES 2
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: vg01 is not getting activated. Could not attach to the volume group to physical volume group

I assume you used an Ignite backup to restore vg00. As such, it also restored the definition (but not the data) for vg01. SAM does not have any intelligence to know about the history of vg01. You must first remove vg01, reinitialize the data disk, then you can use SAM (if you must). 

For LVM maintenence however, the command line tools are much easier and faster, and also add a lot more useful information when things are not correct. Something like this:

# vgexport vg01           ## should have no errors, stop and post result if errors
# vgdisplay               ## should show just vg00
# mkdir /dev/vg01         ## should have no errors
# mknod /dev/vg01/group c 64 0x010000   ## no errors
# vgcreate vg01           ## again, no error messages
# lvcreate -L 36 vg01     ## assuming you want lvol1 = 36 MB
# vgchange -a y vg01      ## check that vg01 is ok

At this point, lvol1 has been created and you can mount it to restore your data.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
RogerVI
Regular Advisor

Re: vg01 is not getting activated. Could not attach to the volume group to physical volume group

It seems that the original path is not the same as restore path.

Try to use vgscan.

Regards.

Roger