6058 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VMWARE GSX

Sac_3
Frequent Advisor

VMWARE GSX

Hi Techies,

Firstly i would like to thank each one of you for helping people in solving their issues and sharing your knoweldge. I am new to this forum and have a question

I would like to practise Veritas Volume manager on Redhat AS 4. So i installed VMWARE GSX application in my notebook.

I have created two instances of Redhat AS 4 and installed Veritas Volume Manager 4.Now inorder to practise VXVM i would like to know how to share a common storage for the two instances so that i can import and deport DG's. Hope i am clear, if not please let me know.

So, I would like to know if this can b done on VMWARE GSX server or not? If yes how?

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I'm not too sure on the answer to your question, but is there any reason you've chosen to use VMware GSX over a more recent version of VMware ?

Cheers,

Rob
Sac_3
Frequent Advisor

Hi Rob!

Thx for your prompt reply. Yes.Becuase i know that i cannot achieve this using VMWARE workstation. Next using VMWARE ESX is irrelevant. I heard that we can share a common storage in VMWARE GSX server so i installed it. Not sure if VMWARE Server version has this feature.

Regards,
SaC
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Well VMware Server is the replacement for GSX, so if it can be done in GSX, then I would have thought it can with VMware Server...

Cheers,

Rob
Sac_3
Frequent Advisor

Ok! may i know the procedure for sharing the storage/disk in VMWARE Server edition.
Serviceguard for Linux
Honored Contributor

Sharing storage has two possible meanings in VMware server. In one case you create a disk, which is really a file on the disk (both VMs need to be on the same server in that instance). In the other case you are sharing a real "physical" disk.

For the first case (disk is implemented as a file) here is a "step by step.
Be aware that this disk can only be accessed by one server at a time (no clustered file systems).

If you have problems do s google search of:
persistent independent site:vmware.com

This search should pick up some of the examples this work is based on.

├в ┬в Each virtual server has a ├в definition├в file. Each virtual server has a sub-directory in the ├в Virtual Servers├в directory (assuming that defaults are selected). Each directory is named the same as the server. Within that directory is a file, again with the name as a base, with a ├в .vmx├в extension. First, make sure the virtual servers are powered off. Before adding any extra disks add the following lines to the server ├в .vmx├в files (both servers). Watch for typos, especially on the last line since it is slightly different.

scsi1.present = "TRUE"
scsi1.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
scsi1.sharedBus = "virtual"
disk.locking = "FALSE"

├в ┬в Note the ├в lsilogic├в assumes that scsi0 is also ├в lsilogic├в

├в ┬в Edit virtual machine Node1
├в Add
├в Hard disk
├в Create new virtual disk
├в ┬в SCSI
├в ┬в Size
├в ┬в When it asked for disk file I suggest the following:
Use a different directory than the servers (I suggest at the ├в server├в level). Use the ├в .vmdk├в extension. For example: shares/share1.vmdk
├в ┬в Before selecting Finished ├в select Advanced (this is important)
├в Select a SCSI address with scsi1:x (recommend 1 for first disk, etc).
├в Select ├в independent├в (persistent will be selected by default)
├в Select ├в Finished├в - A disk will now be created.
├в ┬в
├в ┬в Edit the ├в .vmx├в file (again) and you will find ├в independent-persistent├в listed for the new disk. Make this be ├в persistent├в .
├в Each disk should have the following entries:
scsi1:x.present = ├в true├в
scsi1:x.filename = ├в this will be the path├в
scsi1:x.mode = ├в persistent├в ├в
scsi1:x.deviceType = ├в plainDisk├в
├в
├в ┬в For the second machine do the same except select the ├в use an existing disk├в . Everything else is the same. Make sure you select the same SCSI identifier for the disk, e.g. 1:1