108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VMWare server issues

SOLVED
Go to solution
KathyK
Regular Advisor

VMWare server issues

This may sound really dumb, but is there a way of finding out how many clients (guests) are installed on a particular server running VMWare?

thanks as always.

Kathy
6 REPLIES 6
Thomas Callahan
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: VMWare server issues

VMware ESX shows each guest as an executed process when running. You can grep those out and wc -l them to get a list of how many are running.

Other then that, /vmfs/volumes/* contains symbolic links to the datastores, and you could just list everything in there, and again count the number of directories. ESX creates a directory for every allocated guest.
KathyK
Regular Advisor

Thomas,

thank you for the quick response. not all my vm hosts are ESX, how do i find out what version of vmware they are running?
Thomas Callahan
Valued Contributor

Usually the User Interface has information on what versions you are running.

Enterprise VMware is usually GSX or ESX. Sometimes VMware Server.

I don't have much experience with GSX or VMware server, but I would assume the "one process per guest" rule would still apply if Linux was the Host.
KathyK
Regular Advisor

Thomas,

Thanks again, on one server, i found the answer in the following directory:

[root@savmsvr09:/VMHome/Machines] ll
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 11 08:49 samissvn01

and in vmware.log

more vmware.log
Nov 11 08:48:39: vmx| Log for VMware Server pid=5683 version=1.0.4 build=build-5
6528 option=Release

Appreciate your help.

Kathy
Derek_56
Valued Contributor

Kathy,

On ESX, you can use vmware-cmd -l to list all your VM's. I'd check to see if the same command is avaialble on your VMware Server and GSX systems.

- Derek
KathyK
Regular Advisor

Thanks Derek, i'll do that.

I probably have to open another thread, but the whole reason for this excersise was to find out if VMware ESX is more reliable that VMware server. since on our server the guest node keeps crashing.