1748017 Members
3958 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: WBEM solution for HP servers

shanix

WBEM solution for HP servers

Hi All,

I am trying to use the HP SIM using WBEM to control different HP servers installed with Linux (SLES 10, CentOS 5.2). However, I did not find much info/instruction on how to do so.

Setup:
- HP SIM 5.3 installed on Windows 2003 server.
- SLES 10 with openWBEM installed
- CentOS 5.2 installed with tog-pegasus.

I tried to configure all the configuration to allow anonymous access and disable all the security settings that I can find. However, when I go to Options> Event> Subscribe to WBEM Events in SIM, it always gives me the error message:

FAILED to create indication subscription.

Are there any logs or things that I should check to see if I am misconfigured it somehow?

Thanks in advance,
7 REPLIES 7
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You don't mention the platform that SLES10 and CentOS are running on top of. If they are ProLiant servers, there are not currently any WBEM providers for them, so this would be expected behavior.
shanix

It is running HP proliant server indeed. Thank you for the answer. However, is it possible to done it in the virtualized environment??
shanix

Also, what platform does HP currently support? Are there any documentation that has that information? i.e what is supported and how to configure them?

Thanks again,
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

from the release notes of HP Systems Insight Manager 5.3:

"HP SIM is a hardware-level
management product that supports multiple operating systems on HP ProLiant, Integrity and HP 9000 servers,
HP StorageWorks MSA, EVA, XP arrays, and third-party arrays."

http://docs.hp.com/en/431828-005/431828-005.pdf
Unix operates with beer.
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

HP ProLiant Essentials Management Software Installation and Configuration Guide

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00277251/c00277251.pdf

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/dl_windows.html
Unix operates with beer.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Is it possible to do what in a virtualized environment?
shanix

@Viktor,

Thanks for the documentation, I will do more read up on that. But it seems that it does not indicate how to install the WBEM manager & agent on the server in the Linux environment on top of the Proliant server...

@David,

As you said, if there are no providers on the Proliant server, then what are the servers that HP supported with WBEM? Are there any reference that I can read up on? Also, I am interested to find out if it is possible to control the system via WBEM in the virtualized environment. i.e. I am running SUSE 10 in the VMware ESX server and I would like to use WBEM to gather the information (logs, system info). Is it possible? If so, how?

Thank you very much,