Operating System - Linux
1752695 Members
5405 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What commands needed to sanity check and performance eval a linux box?

SOLVED
Go to solution
MarkSeger
Frequent Advisor

you want command line? then you definitely want collectl. It has so many switches there are multiple switches to show different subsets of switches. ;)

BUT there is a reason to my madness - since it essentially monitors just about everything as all the other tools combined in a consistent output format, you need all those switches to tell it what you want to do.

If you really feel you must dive into /proc, and believe me it's not all that exiting, 'man proc' will tell you quite a lot. If you want to know more, you can always look at the collectl source as it's all written in perl.

-mark
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Thinking about the /proc, some files used are:

/proc/mdstat (Status if using software raid)

/proc/net/bonding/bond* (Status if using software network bonding)

/proc/scsi/qla2xxx/* (If using Qlogic adapters)

Also the commands:

netstat -ni (collisions/errors)
ethtool (status/speed/duplex)
multipath -ll (md multipath)

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
TwoProc
Honored Contributor

cat /proc/swaps
cat /proc/diskstats
cat /proc/loadavg
cat /proc/meminfo
cat /proc/mount (interesting stuff here)
cat /proc/fb (screen info)
cat /proc/cmdline (shows what you booted)

if you having network issues and you want to see if you're having issues - ck out:
/proc/sys/net/ip4
look at *retries*

One of my favorite ways to see what a particular program is doing (perf, troubleshoooting, etc) is to get the process id of a process,

Run top in a window somewhere

pgrep top

use that process id and go to

cd /proc/

cat sched

This info is useful - particularly the wait stats, IO wait stats, nr_switches (voluntary and involuntary). Really neat stuff in here.

However, if you want command line tools, and not necessarily to be playing around in /proc - I like this how to guide.

http://www.softpanorama.org/Commercial_linuxes/Performance_tuning/troubleshooting_linux_performance_issues.shtml

We are the people our parents warned us about --Jimmy Buffett
MarkSeger
Frequent Advisor

re /proc - virtually all monitoring tools read data from here, but none to my liking which is why I wrote collectl. Think sar on steriods! It's available on SourceForge and its unique name makes it really easy to find with google.

So what makes collectl 'special'? For one, it can report a lot more info than sar. For another it can do very find-grained monitoring at the sub-second level when you need it and believe me, there ARE times you need it. And don't forget low overhead. Using less than 0.1% of the CPU, you just turn it on and forget it. It will take samples every 10 seconds (not the 10 minute default for sar which I still think is pretty silly).

It has lots of different output formats depending on your needs at the time and a companion kit called collectl-utils, contains a tool to let you plot the data via a browser.

I had developed collectl years ago based on the Tru64 tool collect (the 'l' stands for linux) and we'd been using it internally for about 5 years before it was released as open source. It's currently part of fedora, suse and in the process of getting into the debian distro. A number of others as well.

-mark
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Still going insanely agogo-agaga on thine Linux Adventures? Then your Google SkillZ (#1 Skill set in my staff right now) likely needs polishing amigo.

If thou art running RedHat - there is actually a Hardware Validation Testsuite that you can optionally install Bos. Just enable that Channel on RHN and yum away. It also includes the command line "stress" command Bos.

Performance? Magny people have mentioned already practivally ALL of the tools you use on HP-UX are the SAME and available on LeeNochs sire.

No points plz coz I knows there is something that ticks ya on my posties.
Hakuna Matata.