6019 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: X11 include files for compiling Tcl/Tk under HP-UX 10.2

Avinash V. Sarlashkar
Occasional Advisor

X11 include files for compiling Tcl/Tk under HP-UX 10.2

Hello:

I have a C110 workstation running HP-UX 10.2.

I have downloaded the "tcl" and the "tk" packages. I have successfully compiled the "tcl" package using gcc 2.95.2. However, I seem to be missing the include files (for example Xproto.h) while compiling the "tk" package. I have no header files in "/usr/include/X11/".

Where do I get these ? One reference I found on the web indicated that I need to buy the "Development Kit from HP". Are these files part of any other package from HP such as an ACE package ? Any pointer will be appreciated -- at this point I am assuming that I am missing only the header files, and nothing else ..... but time will tell. Yes, I have checked the sites like hpux.cae.wisc.edu for precompiled binary packaged that I need (in addition to a specific version of tk). It it appears that I will have to compile the stuff myself.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Avinash V. Sarlashkar
8 REPLIES 8
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

I beleive they are shipped as part of the Motif Dev Kit & C-ANSI-C products.

These are purchaseableon on the application CD's not the core O/S / ACE media.
Carol Garrett
Trusted Contributor

Alex is right, you need to purchase either of the following products for the HP-UX implementation of X11;

http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProducts.pl?group_type=search&group_name=developers+toolkit

But you should be able to download tk from the HP Software porting centre (www.http://hpux.csc.liv.ac.uk) as a binary so you dont need to compile it, and dont need to purchase anything. Where are you downloading tk from and whats the compile error ?

Avinash V. Sarlashkar
Occasional Advisor

Alex and Carol:

Thanks for your input. I apologize for not being able to respond sooner. Here is my response:
1)I am aware of the "HP porting sites" such as hpux.cae.wisc.edu etc. However, I need to compile the Tk version 8.0.3 (older version), and two other packages Tktable and BLT. I have not found binary package for tk-8.0.3 and binary packages for current versions of Tktable and BLT -- hence, all this effort.
2)Now a question: With help from Alex, I have been able to successfully install the gcc compiler, version 2.95.2. Further, I have successfully compiled tcl-8.0.3. My question is, given that I will be using the GNU compiler, will I be able to use the X libraries that are part of the Developer's kit ? Further, I am assuming that all that I will be needing to complile/link these X-windows programs is contained in Developers Kit, and that I will not be needing anything from the ANSI-C Compiler Kit -- any comments ?

Thanks again, for your time.

Regards,

Avinash
Carol Garrett
Trusted Contributor

Yes, if you install the X libs and header files from the developers kit then using the gnu cc compiiler it will search for them and you can use them to compile programs which require them.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

In a perfect world yes :)
Avinash V. Sarlashkar
Occasional Advisor

Alex and Carol:

Thanks for the input. I will give it a try.

Regards,

Avinash
Kevin Ernst
Regular Advisor

If you wanted to live on the edge, you could download the X11R6 sources from X.org and copy the header files you need into the right places. Although I've had success compiling a small number of X applications this way, with no apparent defects in the finished product, I never really documented the steps I took very well, and on principle alone, I should probably advise against doing this on anything but a test box. I'm doubtful that HP changed much of the core functionality of X in such a way as to affect the header files, but there *is* that chance. Someone from HP can slap me on the wrist if I'm grossly wrong about that. In any case, obviously not a supported or supportable configuration.

Due to the prohibitive cost of the expensive compiler bundles and such (not to mention the mental anguish of having to justify such a purchase to my former boss), I was driven to find other ways to satisfy my urge to tinker. So I basically copied the required X11 header files from the R6 sources into the places they were expected on a more or less file-by-file basis. So far it's been working pretty well.
Avinash V. Sarlashkar
Occasional Advisor

Kevin:

Thanks for your input. In fact, that precisely what I did - copied files one-by-one on as needed basis. I will know soon if it produced any usable code. Thanks again.

Avinash